FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DMCH Headlight Switch Questions.

My VIN:    6585

DMCH Headlight Switch Questions.

Digging through everything, I've come across my replacement headlight switch I got from DMCH. I have the switch and logic box, but no instructions or anything else. I'll have to keep digging to try and find them, or just contact DMCH to see if I can get a replacement set of installation instructions.

In the mean time, while searching the threads I have seen occasional complaints about the headlights randomly turning off with these replacement units. Was there an updated version of this switch that came out later on that I should know about? Or is it a simple modification?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Digging through everything, I've come across my replacement headlight switch I got from DMCH. I have the switch and logic box, but no instructions or anything else. I'll have to keep digging to try and find them, or just contact DMCH to see if I can get a replacement set of installation instructions.

In the mean time, while searching the threads I have seen occasional complaints about the headlights randomly turning off with these replacement units. Was there an updated version of this switch that came out later on that I should know about? Or is it a simple modification?
    The very early versions had a connection that you could optionally make so that the lights would turn off with the ignition. This feature proved to cause a problem and was eliminated from later versions. If you have the early one, just leave that wire disconnected.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    The very early versions had a connection that you could optionally make so that the lights would turn off with the ignition. This feature proved to cause a problem and was eliminated from later versions. If you have the early one, just leave that wire disconnected.
    I wonder if that AC compressor glitch caused that problem on the few cars. Of course because of liability you can't use that function.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I wonder if that AC compressor glitch caused that problem on the few cars. Of course because of liability you can't use that function.
    I had a very early version, probably 1st. It had the auto off/delay. I received a notice from Warren iirc about them suddenly going off and to follow included instructions to disable the function. Long story short, we found fluctuations in the power supplied seemed to be causing it. Giving it its own ground and power supply (through a rely from battery) seemed to solve the problem. So, that sounds right. I know kicking on a stereo amplifier would do it.

Robert,
    If you think you have the same version and/or don't have any luck, PM me. I ask the new owner if he has the docs tonight (I think so).
    If not I'll try to dig them up.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Which wire would that be? Likewise, do you have a copy of the instructions and schematics that I can use? If it is really needed, do you also have the black connector on it's own if I cannot find it? I know I have two kits, but I also have ANOTHER bunch of boxes/crates of stuff at another location I have to locate and go through.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I had a very early version, probably 1st. It had the auto off/delay. I received a notice from Warren iirc about them suddenly going off and to follow included instructions to disable the function. Long story short, we found fluctuations in the power supplied seemed to be causing it. Giving it its own ground and power supply (through a rely from battery) seemed to solve the problem. So, that sounds right. I know kicking on a stereo amplifier would do it.

Robert,
    If you think you have the same version and/or don't have any luck, PM me. I ask the new owner if he has the docs tonight (I think so).
    If not I'll try to dig them up.
    Oh yes, I know for a fact it's an early version. First batch shipped.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20060110...ightswitch.asp

Is there an additional delay like modern vehicles if the key is removed? Also, how the hell is it powered to enable this function? Is it through the console lights feed acting as a trigger? Because I purposefully disabled the daytime function on my car to keep the A/C panel cool.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Oh yes, I know for a fact it's an early version. First batch shipped.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20060110...ightswitch.asp

Is there an additional delay like modern vehicles if the key is removed? Also, how the hell is it powered to enable this function? Is it through the console lights feed acting as a trigger?
    No, like Dave said...iirc, the key had to be in the ignition switch, and it turned on. If you had the headlights on and turned off the switch, the headlights would stay on for ~1/2 minute.

My VIN:    4 Seater DMC24

Club(s):   (DMA)

There was also an issue with a 5A fuse included with the kit being undersized if I remember correctly - should be replaced with a 20A?

Is there an additional delay like modern vehicles if the key is removed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    No, like Dave said...iirc, the key had to be in the ignition switch, and it turned on. If you had the headlights on and turned off the switch, the headlights would stay on for ~1/2 minute.
    I guess you got it but just in case- I just noticed my reply was probably confusing.
    I should of said "Yes (there is only one),...."
    ...had a brain fart and let "additional" throw me off lol

Also: My guy retreated to SC to avoid the cold snap we had (26F@night)....back this weekend. But, it seems the other wires would be the same as later versions (not sure)...maybe ask "The other Dave" ;-)

Edit: Removed misidentified wire info.

My VIN:    16409

Which wire would that be? Likewise, do you have a copy of the instructions and schematics that I can use? If it is really needed, do you also have the black connector on it's own if I cannot find it? I know I have two kits, but I also have ANOTHER bunch of boxes/crates of stuff at another location I have to locate and go through.
    The wire for the auto-off was an orange wire. I had two units that had the orange wire. I just clipped it off and set it aside. I also have a 20 amp inline-fuse.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast