FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Headlights?

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Twilight Sentinel

IMO, if you need a computer to turn on your headlights because you can't figure out it's night then you have no business driving a car on the road

But as you know, there are many thousands of folks down here that are too dim (!) to work out that it is dark and they need lights.

In general I like the idea of DRLs but only if they are combined with auto-lights for the reasons Robert mentioned above.

Further improvements could be made by creating algoithims that can determine that you are driving in traffic with your brights on and convert the seat heaters to electroshock therapy.

Also, headlamps (not brights) should be designed to prevent anything brighter than about 4200K being installed.

And while we are at it, use of LED light bars on the highway should be punishible by jail time or forcing the owner to drive a Geo Storm for 1 week for every linear inch of bar.

Not that this is a pet peeve of mine, or anything
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    3937

^yea! what Dermot said^

Robert is right about people driving around thinking their lights are on when they actually aren't. That's either an auto headlight switch that isn't in auto issue or a poor ambient light sensor issue or something else, but it makes for some dangerous dusk or dawn driving when buddy pulls out in front of you and has nothing lit up on his taillights.

I turn my headlights on (and thus the side marker lights too) in the DeLorean anytime I drive it (and at all times of the day).

I hadn't thought about the heat affected light beams going up instead of out like you get in Texas or Arizona. Like you guessed, not much of an issue here. Although, if that was the main concern for us here, I'd gladly trade in this epidemic of overly bright lights we seem to have for it. What is with this glaring (that word choice's for you Dermot!) discrepancy in what you might consider adequately bright low beams or high beams and what you actually see (and get blinded by) on the actual road??

I am all for some kind of enforcement, but therein lies the problem. Things like this seem to default to being self-regulated and in the best judgement of the car owner, parts salesman, website you can get the lights from, etc. And that whole system ain't working worth a shit. I don't know what the solution is, but I can tell you that I have absolutely loved driving the DeLorean in the past couple summers, but almost exclusively only during the day. Between the height of the car, the excessive brightness of Average Joe's headlights, and the glare you might get if your bad timing includes some rain on the windshield, it's the farthest thing from enjoyable (at least for me anyway).

Personal pet peeve? Haha, YES, mine too!!!

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

I installed a relay to turn off my headlights when I turn the car off. This was over a decade ago, and my other car at the time had the same behavior. The problem I was having was that I'd keep forgetting to turn them off when I got out of the DMC, so I just made it automatic.

I have no problem with leaving the lights on all the time, so that's what I do, and I've had no ill effects to date. I documented what I did here, with steps: http://www.tmproductions.com/upgrade...hed-headlights . Unfortunately, I didn't think to take pictures at the time, so it's just text.

-- Joe

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The entire electrical system in the Delorean is marginal at best and the cars are now over 30 years old. To consider adding another large constant load is not a good idea unless you make upgrades to the entire system. BTW, DRL's are a good safety idea. In PA it is the law to turn your headlights on when driving through workzones. Most DRL's do not use the headlights, they use an auxiliary bulb. As for "twilight sentimental" (a system to automatically turn the lights and off), if you are trying to install the features of a more modern car, buy a more modern car. Then you can get lane change warning, cameras, auto braking, adaptive cruise control, hot spot, Appleplay, all kinds of goodies.
    David Teitelbaum

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    But as you know, there are many thousands of folks down here that are too dim (!) to work out that it is dark and they need lights.

In general I like the idea of DRLs but only if they are combined with auto-lights for the reasons Robert mentioned above.

Further improvements could be made by creating algoithims that can determine that you are driving in traffic with your brights on and convert the seat heaters to electroshock therapy.
    If we could take it one or 2 steps further. Splice a GPS locator into The car and Wi-Fi so your car can get current weather and traffic conditions and have the car adjust headlight usage accordingly. Furthermore we could convert one of the taillights to function with 2 element bulbs so to light brighter making a rear foglight like most European vehicles have but it would only activate pending approval from weather alerts via the afore mentioned Wi-Fi. This would make DeLorean ownership worthwhile.

You've been reading the sales brochure for the New DeLorean, haven't you !
    Dermot

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    Has anyone installed an automatic headlight system in their Delorean? Lights that come on when the car starts and go off when the car is turned off? This is common in the new cars today.
    Sorry about hi-jacking your original question Shannon.

See this thread, where Notifier fits a control unit that seems to be both auto and DRL compatible

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?11...ighlight=laser
    Dermot

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Sorry about hi-jacking your original question Shannon.

See this thread, where Notifier fits a control unit that seems to be both auto and DRL compatible

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?11...ighlight=laser
    Hey! Another thread with people bitching about the politics / opinions of DRLs instead of offering any meaningful answers to the OPs question.
    Classic!

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Hey! Another thread with people bitching about the politics / opinions of DRLs instead of offering any meaningful answers to the OPs question.
    Classic!
    I did both

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Classic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I did both
    Just bitching here! I'll go sit in the corner now...

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast