FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Headlights?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    I installed a relay to turn off my headlights when I turn the car off. This was over a decade ago, and my other car at the time had the same behavior. The problem I was having was that I'd keep forgetting to turn them off when I got out of the DMC, so I just made it automatic.

I have no problem with leaving the lights on all the time, so that's what I do, and I've had no ill effects to date. I documented what I did here, with steps: http://www.tmproductions.com/upgrade...hed-headlights . Unfortunately, I didn't think to take pictures at the time, so it's just text.

-- Joe
    This
    +1. I also installed a relay long ago that turns the lights off with the key and on with the key provided the headlight switch is on. Same problem - kept forgetting to turn them off. It's a simple install.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I did both
    always an over-achiever!

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I think you might get DRLs by replacing the 2 existing high beam only bulbs with 2 high-low bulbs, then feed the 2 extra terminals through a relay triggered by the RPM Relay's Hot When Engine Rotating terminal.

Optionally, you could add 2 resistors to adjust brilliance and/or a simple switch to turn them off...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I think you might get DRLs by replacing the 2 existing high beam only bulbs with 2 high-low bulbs, then feed the 2 extra terminals through a relay triggered by the RPM Relay's Hot When Engine Rotating terminal.

Optionally, you could add 2 resistors to adjust brilliance and/or a simple switch to turn them off...
    Or, just re-pin the low beam relay trigger (Blue/Gray) to the accessory relay. Much easier, less complicated.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    Has anyone installed an automatic headlight system in their Delorean? Lights that come on when the car starts and go off when the car is turned off? This is common in the new cars today.
    New car Auto headlights are ones that come on automatically at low light, surely, so they need some sort of light sensor.

What you are asking for is "always on" which my car has, I think with the relay mod mentioned above. But I am not sure and was just surprised that my lights are always on
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post

And while we are at it, use of LED light bars on the highway should be punishible by jail time or forcing the owner to drive a Geo Storm for 1 week for every linear inch of bar.

Not that this is a pet peeve of mine, or anything
    I kinda like my LED light bars.

PacificaDRLBar.jpg

But you can't scare me with a Geo Storm, I already drive a vehicle with a social stigma attached to it.

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Those aren't the ones I am talking about. Yours are factory fitted and aimed with the correct equipment.

I mean the PepBoys special that are routinely fitted to trucks and jeeps and are approximately rated at "brightness of the sun". Often they are mounted mid-grille so it gets an uninterrupted path to your interior mirror.

Hence the choice of the Storm, the antithesis of all things truck.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Or, just re-pin the low beam relay trigger (Blue/Gray) to the accessory relay. Much easier, less complicated.
    I think you meant "Blue/Purple"...
    That would be good if you didn't mind the drain on the battery when you just wanted to run the radio or other accessory. I've used the override on my Silverado more than I would have thought because of the light itself.

So, now I'm thinking I'd do that except triggering it with the RPM relay (87b, Yellow/Red) instead.

I think you mean "Blue/Purple"...
    That would be good if you didn't mind the drain on the battery while you cranked, or wanted to use any accessories.

...Or, avoid that by connecting it to the RPM relay (87b, Yellow/Red) instead.
    (By Jove, I think we've got it;-)
    I'm not sure why you are insistent on tapping into the RPM relay. That circuit is over stressed enough as is. Even if it is just a signal to flip a relay.
    And no, I do mean take the blue/purple (blue/gray is for high beams) wire out of the low/dip beam relay socket, set it aside, and tie that now empty pin into the accessory relay...

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

We seem to have a communication problem ...

I'm not sure why you are insistent on tapping into the RPM relay. That circuit is over stressed enough as is. Even if it is just a signal to flip a relay.
    I would use the RPM relay because:
    [I would mind] the drain on the battery when [I] just wanted to run the radio or other accessory. I've used the override on my Silverado more than I would have thought because of the light itself.
    ...and I don't see the circuit as being over stressed, else I would of added a relay to split the load...

============

And no, I do mean take the blue/purple (blue/gray is for high beams) wire out of the low/dip beam relay socket, set it aside, and tie that now empty pin into the accessory relay...
    But you said:
    ============

And, blue/gray is not for the high beams -- There is no blue/gray -- Its trigger is US (Blue/Slate).
    [FWIW, G=Green. No Gray at all.]

Anyway, it seems Shannon's question should be answered...
    (???...It's late, get some sleep, bud ;-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast