FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone heard from Tom of Deloreana.com?

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

My VW unit is a magnet type valve - mono-stable. It draws about 250mA when activated. It is normally open so the coolant gets a chance to move through the heater core once in a while. When power is applied the valve closes. As soon as you remove power a return spring forces the valve open. I like it. Got a brand new unit for about $20. The only thing I'm not too happy about is how loud this darn thing is It closes with a noticeable "clunk" but I can live with it... with the engine running it's not really an issue. I'm sure it will be better once I get new carpeting installed. Those bare floors resonate a lot.
    I'm sure your motor driven one is a lot quieter than this.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

My VIN:    03572

The motor drive is very noisy but I don't think it will be run much. Pretty much only fall and spring is when I need heat, otherwise it will remain closed.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Hello Tom, I'm glad you are here again!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcio View Post
    2. Heater core valve - vacuum operated valve was replaced with an electrically operated one and moved to the front of the car
    3. Heater core valve will remain closed as long as the temperature knob is set to "cold"
    I am super interested in this mod
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    Hello Tom, I'm glad you are here again!
    Thank you! Yep, I'm still here and it feels good to be back!

I am super interested in this mod
    I need to take some higher quality photos of my setup. Unfortunately my old phone was made obsolete by the mighty G and one of the system "upgrades" has made my camera pretty much useless. It used to take really nice pictures...
    Just a teaser of the work that I did on my car...
    2017-09-21 20.11.51.jpg

I'll be starting a new thread once I have a chance to take some nice pictures.

Thanks guys!
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

Glad you're back Tom! And your car too!

There's an app called "Open Camera" -- million times better than anything pre-installed on any Android phone. Torch flash mode is especially nice to check if flash will work. As the name implies, open source. I use F-Droid to keep it updated (think: Google Play Store for open source apps only).

The mirror circuit adjustment, hope you can document that one! Still rocking your mirrors (feeding that heat wire through was a bear though), but I thought the wiring needed to be changed in the door, which is "nope" territory to me if I can avoid it.

Also still need to figure out how to make the mirrors have a wider adjustment range, the passenger one is banging against the outer side and won't adjust outwards enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Glad you're back Tom! And your car too!
    Hi Shep!

There's an app called "Open Camera" (cut)
    I've used that app and it is very nice but in my case it's the firmware for the camera and software will not fix it. Example - autofocus will crash the phone causing a reboot even if I only use the built-in flashlight... it activates the camera and reboots the phone. When I asked Google they told me to get a new phone as Nexus is no longer supported.

The mirror circuit adjustment, hope you can document that one! Still rocking your mirrors (feeding that heat wire through was a bear though), but I thought the wiring needed to be changed in the door, which is "nope" territory to me if I can avoid it.
    The mod is fairly simple but it disconnects the power mirror operation as well. So, if you need to adjust the mirrors you need to switch the heated rear window on. Since I don't really adjust the mirrors ever this option is fine for me. There is a way to do it so the adjustment is always powered but that requires moving one wire in the left door.

Also still need to figure out how to make the mirrors have a wider adjustment range, the passenger one is banging against the outer side and won't adjust outwards enough.
    If the mirror is assembled correctly then there isn't much that can be done. That is pretty much how it is. One possibility might be to add a spacer behind the center mounting point. That unfortunately requires you to remove the mirror and that.... that might be a problem.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

Tom. When are the side markers going to be ready please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    I remember you saying that was still a lower priority before battling the flu for about a year, but don't know I've seen this question answered yet: will they be compatible with the side blinker mod?

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    I'm trying to make up for the lost time now...
    I have installed the first set using the new LEDs on my car. It's currently undergoing testing to make sure the new LEDs are good. So far I'm very happy with the results. The lights actually turned out brighter that the OEM bulbs. I'm thinking if I should keep them as bright as possible or if I should dim them down a bit. What do you guys think?

As soon as I'm confident that everything is good I will start assembly. It's a time consuming process as it's manual assembly done by me. I will keep everyone updated on the progress.
    For now the mirrors are number one priority. Once that is done I will start assembly on either the door lights or the side markers. TDB

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    I remember you saying that was still a lower priority before battling the flu for about a year, but don't know I've seen this question answered yet: will they be compatible with the side blinker mod?
    Shep, the flu was really no big deal considering what I found out when I went to my doctor. Got some tests done and when the results came in they called me and told me to come in RIGHT NOW. That's when everything else was put on hold. Anyway...
    The side markers will work with blinker repeater mod. They will require one component to be added to the wiring and I will probably offer two versions - regular and blinker mod.
    Once I get around to building the front parking/turn signal lights they will have a special connector on them and the side marker will either connect to the stock wiring for normal operation or directly to the front light to work as side marker and blinker repeater. Unfortunately that is still a future project although I have to think about building at least the first test set soon. The reason is that the law here doesn't allow yellow parking lights... they need to be white. So, I have designed the light to have three functions 1. yellow turn signal, 2. white parking light, 3. white DRL
    We'll see...
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcio View Post
    I'm thinking if I should keep them as bright as possible or if I should dim them down a bit. What do you guys think?
    Pics first? Maybe a comparison shot if you're able to compare incandescent vs. "cube LED" vs. your LED, within the red lens.

Me personally, here's how bright I like my bulbs, quoting DPI Josh at varying points:

"Second coming of Christ"
    "Saw deer scattering 40 yards behind when backing out of the shop"
    "Brake lights that summon demons after dark"
    "As if a DeLorean wasn't visible enough..."

Should give you a pretty good feeling of how bright I like 'em

I would say take a poll, but you know me, I'm on the list of "buying as soon as it's for sale". Blinker mod, but unless you have a source on clear housings, I gotta stay with 1 set yellow, 1 set red, no white at all because the lenses don't work with it. Blinker mod for both. Hell I'll pre-order if it helps.

- - - - -

Also remember guys, LED's don't burn out, they instead have half-lives of brightness. In other words, after a certain amount of time, the brightness of an LED will halve. I have an "extreme" example of this that I always reference to fully demonstrate the effect, I have attached it here. In essence, the middle row of LED's (while still quite blindingly bright) have only been on a total period of about 5 minutes if we're pushing it. The top and bottom row? 5-10 years. This is worsened by the fact that they are blue LED's, which, while neat looking, dim far faster than any other color. Which is exactly why none of that math works on a car: they're not running 24/7 and they're not running blue primarily, there will be some natural dimming over its lifespan, but it is a very slow and not noticeable process. In fact, it's purely because I know to look for it that I find it.

What I'm getting at is if you're on the fence because you think it might be too bright, it will, via natural use, dim to a level of your liking. Slowly, but it will dim, so give it a chance.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Shep; 01-20-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast