FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Some Kidde Fire Extinguishers Recalled

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Replacement unit review

I got the replacement fire extinguisher yesterday. Here are a couple photos for comparison.

The original FA5-1 fire extinguisher is on the left, and the replacement FA5B unit is on the right:

The replacement unit has an aluminum cylinder, a metal valve, pin, and handle which features a metal rivet on the hinge point. This looks like a sturdier higher quality version. It is also noticeably heavier.

Although I'm disappointed that the replacement unit wasn't silver in color, I feel a lot better with this version.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    I ask my tire extinguisher serviceman if he every
    worked with halon units. He said they are now illegal,
    but he had a few. "I can't sell you one but I can give
    you one". I now have a five pounder in my car...
    The following information is from a U. S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) publication titled, Questions and Answers on Halons and Their Substitutes. (Reference 2)

1. It is legal to continue to use your existing halon system and to purchase recycled halon to recharge your system.
    2. There are currently no laws prohibiting halon emissions, however, discharge testing is strongly discouraged.
    Recycled halon can be purchased from many halon and fire protection equipment distributors or directly from owners who are decommissioning their halon systems. The Halon Recycling Corporation (HRC) may be able to provide information on such sellers. HRC phone numbers are: 800-258-1283 and 202-223-6166.

On the other hand, replacement Halotron 1 fire extinguishers are now readily available:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMUMW5C...VQ2ZHQ6L&psc=0

Halotron 1 is the replacement gas for Halon (one of several manufacturer's brand names). It has about ½ the efficiency to Halon. For example, a 2.5LBS Halon bottle has a UL rating of 5; where as, a 2.5LBS Halotron 1 has a UL rating of 2. The good news is Halotron 1 does a great job on liquid and electrical fires, does not damage electronics, and leaves no residue. Other manufactures use different names, such as Halguard:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TPOTM8...VQ2ZHQ6L&psc=0
    Last edited by DMC-Ron; 12-04-2017 at 05:12 AM.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    The following information is from a U. S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) publication titled, Questions and Answers on Halons and Their Substitutes. (Reference 2)

1. It is legal to continue to use your existing halon system and to purchase recycled halon to recharge your system.
    2. There are currently no laws prohibiting halon emissions, however, discharge testing is strongly discouraged.

My VIN:    03572

Just got my replacement today. Looks the same but metal handle, pull pin and nozzle.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    03500

Halon is like R12 no longer in production. Do to the EPA.

DAVE B.

My VIN:    6125

Still waiting on my replacement Kidde dry chem extinguisher, it's been about 2 weeks since I filled out the form online.

After the rash of DeLorean fires a few years back I bought a halotron extinguisher to avoid all the potential mess and electrical related aftermath issues of using a dry chem extinguisher on an engine fire. It was a little pricey but I went with the chrome extinguisher and hit it with a scotch brite pad for a brushed finish.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/htr-hg100c/overview/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2