FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some Kidde Fire Extinguishers Recalled

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Exclamation Some Kidde Fire Extinguishers Recalled

Hi there,

Last year there were a few threads on DeLorean fires, and how to prevent/mitigate this event. This prompted me to get a fire extinguisher. I bought a silver model from Kidde (FA5-1), and recently I got a recall notice. Apparently there are a few models recalled, so I wanted to alert the community in case you didn't receive the recall notice. The links are below. If you go to the Kidde link (last one), you can answer a few questions and determine if your model is affected. I filled out the required information and Kidde is sending me a replacement - no charge.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/ki...-discharge-and

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2015/ki...-extinguishers

https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    16377

Dana,

This was exactly my situation. I heard about all the car fires and decided to get a fire extinguisher for my DeLorean. It looks like we actually got the same one. I just processed the recall claim after I got the email from Amazon. Also, the two fire extinguishers I purchased for my apartment were recalled as well. I have mixed feelings about using these new Kidde extinguishers once I get them. I may reach out to Amazon to see if I can return them for another brand. It looks like there was already a death attributed to this recall. A car fire no less.

Thanks.

-Nick Pitello

My VIN:    03572

I'm guessing it's the plastic parts for the pull pin and handle that are failing when they age. Mine was also on the recall list but then they sent me an email showing the types not on the recall. I replied that mine was recalled so not sure if they will replace it now.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I'm guessing it's the plastic parts for the pull pin and handle that are failing when they age. Mine was also on the recall list but then they sent me an email showing the types not on the recall. I replied that mine was recalled so not sure if they will replace it now.
    Hi Dave,

Did you fill out the claim form? It uses your model and serial number to confirm that it is indeed recalled, and then gives you a confirmation number for the replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by NJP548 View Post
    Dana,

This was exactly my situation. I heard about all the car fires and decided to get a fire extinguisher for my DeLorean. It looks like we actually got the same one. I just processed the recall claim after I got the email from Amazon. Also, the two fire extinguishers I purchased for my apartment were recalled as well. I have mixed feelings about using these new Kidde extinguishers once I get them. I may reach out to Amazon to see if I can return them for another brand. It looks like there was already a death attributed to this recall. A car fire no less.

Thanks.

-Nick Pitello
    Yeah. I know what you mean. Kidde is a big brand though. I'll see if the replacement has a sturdier handle.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

That's most likely the reason. One of the recalls involved extinguishers that were made as far back as 1973.

-Nick

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi Dave,

Did you fill out the claim form? It uses your model and serial number to confirm that it is indeed recalled, and then gives you a confirmation number for the replacement.

Yeah. I know what you mean. Kidde is a big brand though. I'll see if the replacement has a sturdier handle.
    Yeah, I'll see how the replacements are before deciding. I agree they are a big brand and should have a trusted product. I just don't like that this recall involved someone that passed away.

-Nick

My VIN:    03572

Yes I filled out the claim and they said they would send me a new one. But about 4 or 5 days ago they sent me an email showing that "horizontal pull ring and curved plastic handle" were not on the recall list. I'm guessing they are finding this recall is costing them to much money and now they are trying to limit their cost. The email just had a click button so not even sure it did anything.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Yes I filled out the claim and they said they would send me a new one. But about 4 or 5 days ago they sent me an email showing that "horizontal pull ring and curved plastic handle" were not on the recall list. I'm guessing they are finding this recall is costing them to much money and now they are trying to limit their cost. The email just had a click button so not even sure it did anything.
    I got the same email. It just took you to a PDF showing the different fire extinguishers. I know for a fact all three of mine are on the recall. I'll see what they end up shipping me.

-Nick

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

If anything this lit a fire under me(no pun intended) to get extinguishers in my car and work van and home. I went to check the extinguisher I keep in my DeLorean only to discover it was 10 years old. I went to almost every car parts store and hone store but apparently this massive recall affected the units on the shelves too. Wal-Mart had them and they were extremely well priced(cheaper than I was expecting).

Got a 5lb unit for the kitchen, a 2.5lb unit for my work van, and a small 2lb unit for the DeLorean. I am going to mount this one because I am not quite as apprehensive about screwing a few tiny screws to hold it in place...I'm never selling the car and It's so far from stock that it won't matter.

The 2.5 unit was 17.00 and the 2lb was a mere 14.00. I feel stupid for not doing this sooner.

Also I tested the 10 year extinguisher. Worked perfect but if you ever do really need it, just know the small automotive sizes only have around 5 to 8 seconds of ability in them.
    Last edited by Michael; 12-03-2017 at 08:56 AM.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

Fire!

I ask my tire extinguisher serviceman if he every
    worked with halon units. He said they are now illegal,
    but he had a few. "I can't sell you one but I can give
    you one". I now have a five pounder in my car...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast