FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Advice on portable power packs

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

I don’t have one to recommend firsthand, but the Wirecutter is pretty good with all of it’s reviews; here’s a link to their battery jumper review page: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...-jump-starter/
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

They are becoming very small and very capable. I got one with an air compressor and a built-in light. Keep it fully charged and charge it about once a month even if you don't use it. Just be aware they don't last forever and it isn't worth putting a new battery into it. Always observe polarity, they pack a powerful punch. Some have a safety in case you screw up and reverse the polarity.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3294

I own a drive-in movie theatre here in middle Tennessee, and we deal with dead car batteries every single night. When listening to the movie sound over your car radio all the way through two movies, we usually end up with 8-10 dead car batteries a night. I've looked into those small jump start packs, but I just couldn't see them lasting more than 1 or 2 jumps. We had bought a couple of jump boxes from Walmart, but they barely lasted one season, and were only good for 2-3 jumps per night before they were completely drained.

We found https://www.amazon.com/Jump-N-Carry-...0E6DPSAXZ47CPB on Amazon earlier last year, and it has been one of the best investments we've made. It can jump 15-20 cars in a single night without even blinking. It's heavy as lead, doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but it works.
    Last edited by bfloyd; 11-20-2017 at 03:54 PM.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd View Post
    I own a drive-in movie theatre here in middle Tennessee, and we deal with dead car batteries every single night. When listening to the movie sound over your car radio all the way through two movies, we usually end up with 8-10 dead car batteries a night. I've looked into those small jump start packs, but I just couldn't see them lasting more than 1 or 2 jumps. We had bought a couple of jump boxes from Walmart, but they barely lasted one season, and were only good for 2-3 jumps per night before they were completely drained.

We found https://www.amazon.com/Jump-N-Carry-...0E6DPSAXZ47CPB on Amazon earlier last year, and it has been one of the best investments we've made. It can jump 15-20 cars in a single night without even blinking. It's heavy as lead, doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but it works.
    Yup those are good. I have used them. Heaviest jump pack I have ever had. For me, I see maybe 2 or 3 a week, so I really don't need anything more than a regular jump box but I'm a sucker for new tech.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I had to jump large trucks and tractors "back in the day". I made up a handtruck with 2 large 6 volt batteries and some cables. It was large and heavy but it always got the job done. That was way before they had these small jumper packs. If you have a club cart or a golf cart with large batteries in it you can do the same thing. Just drive up to the customer and hook up.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10907

Has anybody tried this one?

https://www.costco.com/Lithium-Jump-...100383979.html

It's on sale this month and I was thinking of picking one up.

Really happy with my power pack purchase. So far I have had to jump 2 cars and my motorcycle and still shows 100% charge so I can believe the claims of 20+ jumps from a single charge.

15124912122511837935161.jpg

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Really happy with my power pack purchase. So far I have had to jump 2 cars and my motorcycle and still shows 100% charge so I can believe the claims of 20+ jumps from a single charge.

15124912122511837935161.jpg
    A

How has your power pack been holding up since December? Looking to buy and I like how compact this one is.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    A

How has your power pack been holding up since December? Looking to buy and I like how compact this one is.
    I love it. It stays in my work van since that's when I need it most but I never go on a road trip without it. There are a few cons to these types of portable packs. One is they are only designed to provide quick power, no cranking over 3 or 4 seconds. With a old school battery pack you can crank till the sun sets, with these you are only allowed a few seconds at a time, then it must rest for a few minutes(supposedly to allow the internal components to cool)

The second is related to the quick power as well. If you decide to charge a usb device with it, you will tax the charge heavily. I once used it to charge my phone and even though my pack had a full charge to start with, by the time my phone was charged my pack was at like 65%. A traditional jump pack would have not been phased by such a small task. This is kind of like the old adage of there is no replacement for displacement. The battery of this size can only do so much and I imagine it charges several capacitors to unleash a large amount of amperage but very quickly. It's the price you pay for portability I guess.

I get about 7 or 8 bumps out of it before I see it hit around 60 or 70%. I have never ran it lower to see just how many cars I could jump because it only takes about an hour to top it off.

There are a lot of packs to choose from but I would highly recommend this one(or at least the brand, by now they probably have a newer model that's even better).

While at a gas station I saw two people using jumper cables to try and start one but the battery was so flat that they were having to let it charge. I walked over and one of them looked at it and laughed. He was stupified when his car cranked right up.
    Last edited by Michael; 07-22-2018 at 10:58 AM.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I love it. It stays in my work van since that's when I need it most but I never go on a road trip without it. There are a few cons to these types of portable packs. One is they are only designed to provide quick power, no cranking over 3 or 4 seconds. With a old school battery pack you can crank till the sun sets, with these you are only allowed a few seconds at a time, then it must rest for a few minutes(supposedly to allow the internal components to cool)

The second is related to the quick power as well. If you decide to charge a usb device with it, you will tax the charge heavily. I once used it to charge my phone and even though my pack had a full charge to start with, by the time my phone was charged my pack was at like 65%. A traditional jump pack would have not been phased by such a small task. This is kind of like the old adage of there is no replacement for displacement. The battery of this size can only do so much and I imagine it charges several capacitors to unleash a large amount of amperage but very quickly. It's the price you pay for portability I guess.

I get about 7 or 8 bumps out of it before I see it hit around 60 or 70%. I have never ran it lower to see just how many cars I could jump because it only takes about an hour to top it off.

There are a lot of packs to choose from but I would highly recommend this one(or at least the brand, by now they probably have a newer model that's even better).

While at a gas station I saw two people using jumper cables to try and start one but the battery was so flat that they were having to let it charge. I walked over and one of them looked at it and laughed. He was stupified when his car cranked right up.
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! I do believe I will be buying one. Thanks again
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2