FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice on portable power packs

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Advice on portable power packs

Yesterday at work I left my lights on and my jump pack didn't have enough to get the job done. My buddy came out with a small power pack about the size of an old school cell phone and to my surprise it worked. I had seen these about a year ago and dismissed them but seeing one work in person made me want one for myself and a few more as Christmas gifts. It came with all the goodies to charge a usb device, jumper cables, etc. So my search led me to a jungle of choices from 20 bucks all the way to 250 bucks and me wondering if the 100 dollar version is any better than the 20 dollar version or the same as the name brand Matco 250 dollar version.

Needless to say the CCA ratings should tell the difference but a lot of these cheap units don't last long nor to do they hold a charge for very long. I want a good one and if that means 250 then so be it, but if there is something safe and reliable from around the 100 or less mark then I'm all ears.

Shopping for these is like dash cam shopping, 90% is Chinese and I don't know the difference between quality Chinese and cheap Chinese. Do you? Point me in the right direction.

Here is what I'm talking about. He said he has jumped 12 cars in a row with his between charges.

https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/p...ARTER-CHARGER/

Nothing witty here lest it offend

12 cars. Yeah, well, men tend to exagerrate about their conquests.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    12 cars. Yeah, well, men tend to exagerrate about their conquests.
    5.7 Vortec engine and 100% drained battery. That little iPhone sized battery spun it over faster than my battery did on a fresh charge. I would have never believed it till I saw it. In fact I told him if that little thing actually starts this van, I'm getting one...which brings us here.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I got a couple of these for the kids cars

https://www.ebay.com/i/132369658438?...D1368207305614

My son has used it to start his Touareg from dead flat as well as a couple of other friends cars.

He does charge it after use though. Supposedly keeps a charge for 6 months and is very easy to use.

I suspect my daughter just uses hers as a mega battery pack for her phone

This one is about the size of a VHS cassette. Maybe a little smaller.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-Porta...70_&dpSrc=srch

Ordered this one, got great reviews and has the boldest claims of 1200 peak amps(I seriously doubt that given the gauge of the jumper cable wire) Probably 4-500 would be a guestimate, but it will do for boosting dead cars on my lots this winter without dragging that heavy ass battery box around.

Did your friend jump using the battery clamps or did he charge the car battery via the cigarette socket?
    Dermot

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Did your friend jump using the battery clamps or did he charge the car battery via the cigarette socket?
    He clamped it on the battery terminals. It's not often someone gets the jump on me when gadgets are concerned, I just had no idea that amount of current was possible in a package that small and thought the whole portable power thing cranking up dead cars was a gimmick. I remember seeing the Glenn Beck promo for one and I was thinking, "yeah, they ran that battery down just to the point it would not spin the starter before boosting it off". Mine was 100% dead because I left my lights on all day long.

My son did it the other way. Connected it to the cigarette lighter and let it charge the car battery for 10 minutes which was enough to let it turn it over.
    Dermot

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Yesterday at work I left my lights on and my jump pack didn't have enough to get the job done.
    Have you considered one of those gadgets that automatically turn your lights on and off for you?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Have you considered one of those gadgets that automatically turn your lights on and off for you?
    Touché Pussycat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast