FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Still vibration in steering after front end mostly new (video)

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Andrew,
    Could you elaborate on the vibration reducing U-joint? Was this thru a vendor?

Thanks,
    Ron
    The vibration reducing u-joint is a modification that I believe was originally installed by Bill Robertson a few years back. The stock DeLorean steering system has no isolation between the front wheels and the steering wheel. Most car makers address this issue with a rag joint, however, the DeLorean does not have enough room to accommodate a rag joint. Thankfully, Borgeson makes a vibration reducing u-joint for small clearance applications. According to Borgeson, the vibration reducing u-joint provides vibration reduction similar to that of a traditional rag joint.

With the benefit of the vibration reducing u-joint, LCA braces and upgraded LCAs, my DeLorean is almost as comfortable to drive as my 85 Toronado.

I know a number of owners who have done this upgrade and I haven't heard any negative feedback.

Back when I installed the vibration reducing u-joint's, I had to order the parts directly from Borgeson because they weren't available from any vendors yet. But now you can order the entire setup from Rob Grady. :-)
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mark w View Post
    My old car had play in the column that drove me nuts. I drilled and tapped the inner shaft and put a bolt thru it and the outer part to lock them together. solved.

sorry but I dont have any pictures of this

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    The vibration reducing u-joint is a modification that I believe was originally installed by Bill Robertson a few years back. The stock DeLorean steering system has no isolation between the front wheels and the steering wheel. Most car makers address this issue with a rag joint, however, the DeLorean does not have enough room to accommodate a rag joint. Thankfully, Borgeson makes a vibration reducing u-joint for small clearance applications. According to Borgeson, the vibration reducing u-joint provides vibration reduction similar to that of a traditional rag joint.

With the benefit of the vibration reducing u-joint, LCA braces and upgraded LCAs, my DeLorean is almost as comfortable to drive as my 85 Toronado.

I know a number of owners who have done this upgrade and I haven't heard any negative feedback.

Back when I installed the vibration reducing u-joint's, I had to order the parts directly from Borgeson because they weren't available from any vendors yet. But now you can order the entire setup from Rob Grady. :-)
    Yes Bill was the guy that came up with the Borgeson parts change. I also did this on my car. I did not really notice much change but I would think it would reduce high frequency vibrations. I also bought the parts before Rob had them as a kit.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

Andrew,
    Thanks for the info.
    Ron

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Even if you get everything perfectly balanced, if you have any play or "looseness," you will feel vibrations. Recheck the front end for anything loose.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2