FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: intake seals

My VIN:    10907

intake seals

So I'm planning to pull the intake again to check for leaks and replace the ignition wires. I'm hearing that I should replace the o-rings in the cylinder openings. Is there a crossover for those or do I need to get them from DMC? I've got a friend helping me and he's only here for a few days so time is of the essence.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There are a bunch of seals, gaskets and hoses that you should replace if you remove the intake manifold. Especially the copper seals for the fuel system, they should not be reused. The Delorean vendors sell kits for this with everything you will need, not just the 6 "O" rings for the intake manifold. Be sure to pressure check the cooling system before putting the intake manifold back on. If the injector seals are hard you should replace them also.
    David Teitelbaum

According to Josh B the crossover is McMaster Carr's 9262k361 (BUNA 47mm inside diameter, 4mm width). Ordered a set from them & one from DMCMW so hopefully at least one gets here by Tues. I have the injector seals & clips on order already and can get the copper rings at O'Reilly.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you haven't done the "Y" pipe you should change the seals and hose and clamps. There are also the small vacuum hoses that should be changed. If you are going to piece together what you need you might not get everything or you might use parts that don't fit or work correctly. Once you get it apart you want to put it back together again and not have to wait for parts. That is why I recommend getting the kit from a Delorean vendor. Usually when you do the intake manifold you also do the water pump and the idler bearings and belts too. As long as you are going to be removing the intake manifold you don't want to have to go back in there for a while. Other things to change are the spark plugs and ignition wires and cap and rotor. Have the injectors tested and cleaned. Clean the top of the block. A lot of work and it takes a bunch of parts.
    David Teitelbaum

We did the ignition wiring and changed out the water pump hoses. The pump itself and the Y-pipe had been changed out a couple years ago but the hard line had for some reason never been done and it was pretty sad. 20190212_113741.jpg20190212_113734.jpg

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    We did the ignition wiring and changed out the water pump hoses. The pump itself and the Y-pipe had been changed out a couple years ago but the hard line had for some reason never been done and it was pretty sad. 20190212_113741.jpg20190212_113734.jpg
    Wow, that IS pretty sad-looking.

Thanks for the photos.
    Just a guess that a PO did the car no favors by letting the engine coolant go sour at some point. Sour, as in acidic/corrosive.

That's a good plug for regular coolant changes, something a PO seems not to have understood in your case.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Wow, that IS pretty sad-looking.

Thanks for the photos.
    Just a guess that a PO did the car no favors by letting the engine coolant go sour at some point. Sour, as in acidic/corrosive.

That's a good plug for regular coolant changes, something a PO seems not to have understood in your case.
    Yep, as best I can figure out, the original owner had parked it since 1993 with water in the lines. The drains were rusted shut when I first bought it, there was all kinds of rust in the lines and I eventually had to have the heads pulled and the block cleaned out. Which wouldn't have bothered me as much if I'd paid $15000 for it instead of $31000.