FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Not this $#!* again! (Coolant leak at rear of engine)

My VIN:    10907

D'oh, it was back up at 1500-1700 on my way to work. Still, I'm assuming I'm on the right track since it briefly went back to normal after I adjusted that linkage? I'll mess with it some more tomorrow.

My VIN:    03572

Another tip for you guys with a sticky throttle is to put some grease on the springs (spool and butterfly arm). I did that 5 years ago when mine was sticky and have not had the problem since.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Lubing the springs will help. You can also adjust the stop screw in a turn or two . This will help overcome the force required to depress the switch itself.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Another tip for you guys with a sticky throttle is to put some grease on the springs (spool and butterfly arm). I did that 5 years ago when mine was sticky and have not had the problem since.
    Dave, do you still use the micro-switch in conjunction with your custom ECU?
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Dave, do you still use the micro-switch in conjunction with your custom ECU?
    No I removed both the idle switch and WOT switch. Removing the idle switch also puts less pressure on the throttle returning to idle.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Not this $#!* again! (Coolant leak at rear of engine)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    No I removed both the idle switch and WOT switch. Removing the idle switch also puts less pressure on the throttle returning to idle.
    Well if you removed them,then its probably not a fair statement to say you have not had any sticky throttle issues for 5 years. The assumption being the sticky throttle would not allow the micro switch to trip and cause the high idle on occasion.
    DENNIS

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Nice job diagnosing and fixing your problems

If greasing the springs in the throttle assemble doesn't solve your idle issue you may want to have a look at your ignition coil. I spent two weeks this summer adjusting the throttle linkage and couldn't get the idle to stop intermittently rising to 1500ish. Out of desperation I pulled the ign. coil and found years of crud built on the electrode. Replacing the coil returned the idle to its regular 750ish.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    10907

Now I'm really confused. When I started up after work (11pm, around 40F), it hunted for a minute and then settled a little below 1000, which is pretty close to normal. Then as I was waiting at the gate it was around 1200-1300. When I got off the freeway it was back up around 1700. Then as I was getting to my house it was around 1100-1200. I drove around my neighborhood for another 15 minutes and it stayed there.

????

Also, if I need to grease the throttle cable do I use WD40 or is there something else that's better?

P.S. Nick, I replaced my coil last spring, although the coil turned out not to be the culprit for that issue so the old one is probably still good. I guess if all else fails I could try that.
    Last edited by DaraSue; 12-02-2017 at 01:50 AM.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

For alot of that kind of lubrication I like to use a silicon spray..works good and its dry and wont promote rust. Im sure other folks have suggestions as well.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

You're probably right about the coil not being the cause since you replaced it recently.

I use white lithium grease on the throttle return spring and the small deceleration springs in the butterfly assembly.

Have you looked behind the drivers seat under the carpet at the idle ECU? Everything plugged in securely?
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast