FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Need to replace aftermarket radio with another

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Need to replace aftermarket radio with another

After over a year of neglect, I'm trying to fix a few odd and end things on my DeLorean. One of them is figuring out what to do with the Kenwood kvt-617dvd head unit that the previous owner installed. It seems that the brain (located in the cubby behind the driver seat) has gone bad, which means the system doesn't work and there's no music. I've tried troubleshooting it for hours and can't find anything wrong with the system, which points to the brain being bad. It used to work great. If I'm going to start driving this thing more, I've got to have tunes, which means I need a different head unit.

I've never felt the need to have a DVD player in the DeLorean, so I figure I should replace it with a non-DVD head unit. The Kenwood DVD unit has tons of wiring, which gives me pause when I think about replacing it. The previous owner put in a lot of work to install this thing, even swapping the location of the vents and the radio so that the vents wouldn't be blocked when the air is on. Gotta give him props for that, I suppose.

2017-11-22 20.56.53.jpg

For now, I'm fine with leaving the vents in their modified location. I have a few questions and concerns:
    • The radio antenna cable currently goes to the brain in the cubby. With a new head unit, I assume that I'll have to get an extension cable so that the radio cable will go all the way up to the head unit, correct?
    • I assume that the molex connection for the Kenwood unit wouldn't work for a different model head unit, like a Pioneer head unit. What all is involved in swapping from one aftermarket unit to another?
    • I'd like the new unit to play CDs, MP3 CDs, and have an aux input for an iPod, but I don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks, if possible. Any recommendations?

Below are some pics of the head unit molex connection and the brain in the cubby. You'll also notice that the a/c adapter has come off behind the head unit, which is hopefully why I don't get a whole lot of air coming from my center vents. I'll put that back on there eventually.

2017-11-22 20.56.03.jpg 2017-11-22 20.57.41.jpg
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

You said you were happy with the Kenwood. You might just check eBay. Your Kenwood might be there for just a few dollars. A working replacement would get you back and going without much hassle.

Ron

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Today there is a wide range of all kinds of things you can do. Modern electronics has come a LONG way in terms of functionality. Go to crutchfield.com for ideas. Nothing is going to be plug-and-play except what you have. Anything else will require new plugs. The antennae cable may still be under the console from the original radio. The cheapest route would be to find another "brain" or maybe have your dead one repaired, there are shops that can do that and it may not be expensive. First verify you have power and ground to it. The problem may be a blown fuse or a bad connection.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10588

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I have a NIB RetroSound model 3 that I bought because I thought they wouldn't do a warranty return for mine.

I'll have it on the forsale thread shortly
    -Luigi-
    Thank you ALL for your patience and your tremendous help!

1982 VIN#10588 Build Date Dec '81

My VIN:    6472

I went through the same thing earlier this year. Mine had a Kenwood KVT-911DVD and the same brain you have also located in the cubby, along with miles of wiring. A lot of work had been put into mine as well. There were wires going to the speedo cable/lambda counter. It even had a navigation unit with sensors glued to the dash, and "antenna signal boosters" glued to the rear window. I ended up going back to the original Craig head unit (with aux input) but did install a small Kenwood subwoofer to get some low end. I also left the antenna cable disconnected since I wasn't going to use the radio, otherwise yes, you will most likely need to make it longer to connect it to the back of the head unit. The mountain of wires seems daunting but you will feel accomplished when completed.

My write-up and pics here:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?24...l=1#post217446
    Last edited by Gregadeth; 11-23-2017 at 05:28 PM.

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    I went through the same thing earlier this year. Mine had a Kenwood KVT-911DVD and the same brain you have also located in the cubby, along with miles of wiring. A lot of work had been put into mine as well. There were wires going to the speedo cable/lambda counter. It even had a navigation unit with sensors glued to the dash, and "antenna signal boosters" glued to the rear window. I ended up going back to the original Craig head unit (with aux input) but did install a small Kenwood subwoofer to get some low end. I also left the antenna cable disconnected since I wasn't going to use the radio, otherwise yes, you will most likely need to make it longer to connect it to the back of the head unit. The mountain of wires seems daunting but you will feel accomplished when completed.

My write-up and pics here:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?24...l=1#post217446
    This is awesome! I haven't read through your thorough write-up yet, but I will likely closely follow what you did to put me on the right track. Thanks so much!
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

Stainless, just an observation from 3rd photo. You mentioned that the previous owner moved the stereo up to where the vents were, but it doesn't appear that the ducts were extended to the vents...unless that piece was removed for the photo. When heating, this will blow additional hot air onto the back of the head unit. Not sure how you could remedy this. Anyone have ideas?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk