FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: What tires are you running on??? Its been 8 yrs.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

When you buy old tires there is no way you can know what conditions they were stored in during that time. Sometimes 3 of the 4 tires will be OK but they toss one really old one in hoping no one will notice. After all, how many people will actually read the date codes on the new tires they just bought? Like food stores, tire places are supposed to work on FIFO (First one In-First one Out) to rotate their stock and always have the oldest stock rotated out. Sometimes they find an old one and have to pass it off onto someone. One of the dirty little secrets of the tire industry. Don't be that someone. Also, when balancing a tire, if they have to use excessive weight and multiple times to get it balanced (and it isn't a bent rim) that tire is defective and should not be used but many tire shops will just keep throwing weights onto it and hope the owner doesn't know any better.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    1890

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    Did you mean a tire rotation instead of an alignment, since Discount doesn't do alignments? https://www.discounttire.com/learn/services-not-offered
    I think they might do a toe-in, but they did refer me to a proper shop that found a caster problem (Ram pickup).
    Robert
    1981 DeLorean #1890
    1976 Datsun 280Z
    1968 Pontiac Le Mans convertible

My VIN:    10907

Quote Originally Posted by DMC1890 View Post
    I recently replaced my 22 yr-old tires on my recently reborn D with Ohtsu FP0612 (225/60/15 rear, 195/60/14 front), on stock wheels with stock suspension. I wanted matching appearance, and to me the size looks fine. I won't be going 88 MPH, and won't put on more than a few miles per month, never in rain or snow. I got these from Discount.
    That's what I have on mine, I didn't even know they weren't the right ones. FWIW, I've gotten caught out in blizzards and squall lines more than once and haven't ended up in a ditch. If the front ones are the correct size my speedo/odometer should still read correctly, right?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    That's what I have on mine, I didn't even know they weren't the right ones. FWIW, I've gotten caught out in blizzards and squall lines more than once and haven't ended up in a ditch. If the front ones are the correct size my speedo/odometer should still read correctly, right?
    I think they are a good choice for a matching set in a 225 size. The difference between 225 and the OEM 235 is 10 mm so, all things being equal, it's barely noticeable. I have 225s too and they perform well, but my tire installer needed to blast extra compressed air around the bead to get them to expand on the rim and seal. So, he said that the downside to this slightly undersized tire is I won't be able to temporarily fix a flat on the side of the road with those repair-in-a can products.

Regarding the brand, Otshu is in the same corporate family as the performance brand Falken. I have Falkens and the Otshu FP0612 have the same tread profile. I bet that they are the same/similar tire.

Here's a review: https://talkcarswell.com/ohtsu-fp0612-a-s-tire-review/

I was suitably impressed at the Falkens so I decided to try the Otshu 8000 for my daily driver. They have also performed well for the last 2 years.

Also, you are correct, if the front size is the same as stock size, then your speedo is fine.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Waking up this napping thread. I'm in search of tires now that the camber is fixed much to my delight. Any updated opinions?

I currently have 245/60/15 on the rears and I like the wider look ... more appropriate to the car's styling as viewed from the rear IMHO. But 245/60/15 doesn't really open up the options much. Since our tires tend to age out before they wear out, and the car doesn not get driven at a high performance, I'm not really sure spending a lot for performance makes sense.

=========================================
    I found https://tiresize.com/ and it is pretty helpful being that it does a lot of the computations and comparisons for you. At TireSize.com you can input the front size and rear size separately and it will search 24 tire companies for matching tires. For 225/60/15 D sizes it found matched sets as follows (try https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/stagg...e2=225-60R15):
    - Fuzion Turing
    - UniRoyal Tiger Paw Touring A/S
    - General Tire Altimax RT43

I have no idea as to the worthwhileness of these tires, they all seem to be yawns, but they are matched sets if that is your driving interest

They have a number of tire calculating tools and one is that they will find tires near your stated size (as well as stating how much they vary). For example, since we seem to have more trouble finding rears, you can vary the front size to see if a close fit on the front generates a matching rear (FWIW, I didn't find any matching sets using that approach ... yet). And, of course, you can vary the rear to see what fronts fall out.

But be forewarned, if you search a front/rear combination and it does not find a match, it clears the 6 inputs and you have to start over. So use the right-click and open the results in a new tab.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Im not sure why everyone gets so concerned about having matching tires.
    I think it is more of a concern putting too narrow of tires on the rear.

I have tried several different setups on my car and 235/60r15 BFGs on the back and whatever the highest rated 195/60r14 at the time (here and on tirerack) is what the car gets. Put the white lettering in, or leave the white lettering out on the rears and use tire stickers on the front.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    4519

Mine don't match.... 'cause I'm a straight-up gangsta!

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

I've pretty much decided on the BF Goodrich TA's for the rear (available in 235 and 245's in 60's). I like the wider look for the rears. For the fronts I'm leaning towards Cooper Evolution Tours. They seem well reviewed.

I was in process of deciding the fronts when I had one of those ideas that results in not getting things done ... Why put off until tomorrow what you can do today? ... Here's why ... Why get new tires now instead of waiting until spring. We only have a month or so until it takes it's long winter nap. Another month wouldn't add much to tires already way to old (I hope). They wouldn't have to sit on the new tires over the winter. And it would add about a half year to the tire's calendar life.

I'll be piss'd if one of those tires fails catastrophically in the next month or so!
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I am going to wait till Spring too. My concerns about changing tire sizes is that the Delorean was very well designed so that the front tires are supposed to break loose BEFORE the rear tires. The logic being that if you break the rear loose first it will swing around too quickly to recover because of the rear engine and the high polar moment of inertia. Going to a wider tire size in the rear means a wider footprint and lower pressure per square inch so less traction. Not that I drive the Delorean close to it's limits but why take the chance if you can find the right size but it may mean different tires front and rear.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I am going to wait till Spring too. My concerns about changing tire sizes is that the Delorean was very well designed so that the front tires are supposed to break loose BEFORE the rear tires. The logic being that if you break the rear loose first it will swing around too quickly to recover because of the rear engine and the high polar moment of inertia. Going to a wider tire size in the rear means a wider footprint and lower pressure per square inch so less traction. Not that I drive the Delorean close to it's limits but why take the chance if you can find the right size but it may mean different tires front and rear.
    You are putting too much confidence in the original design (intent).

The rim/tire setup on these cars is terrible, only outdone by the weight distribution. The front setup is too small both in width and diameter.

You are right the car will understeer very easily. I find this very annoying. I can take a cloverleaf faster in my 4x4 pickup truck than the delorean.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast