FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: What tires are you running on??? Its been 8 yrs.

My VIN:    1890

I recently replaced my 22 yr-old tires on my recently reborn D with Ohtsu FP0612 (225/60/15 rear, 195/60/14 front), on stock wheels with stock suspension. I wanted matching appearance, and to me the size looks fine. I won't be going 88 MPH, and won't put on more than a few miles per month, never in rain or snow. I got these from Discount.
    Robert
    1981 DeLorean #1890
    1976 Datsun 280Z
    1968 Pontiac Le Mans convertible

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

So what is the input about the Vredestein Sportrac 5's (225/195)? I like the look ... somewhat unique for a tire and there is not a lot you can do with tire design. A little hard to find but doable.

I currently have 245/60's and going to 225/60's will be a bit of a shock after all these years (I'm embarrassed to say they are upwards of 30 years old )
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    Midproduction

I've had Vredsteins for over a year - significant better ride-wise than the Fuzions I replaced them with (also way better looking).

[QUOTE=nkemp;239550]So what is the input about the Vredestein Sportrac 5's (225/195)? I like the look ... somewhat unique for a tire and there is not a lot you can do with tire design. A little hard to find but doable.

I’ve got Peerless Sprint GT’s on mine. Original size front and rear. I’ve never heard of this brand. The fronts say MADE IN USA.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

question...

If one were to find several sets of good new
    tires and you wanted to save, "preserve" them for
    future use years from now, how would you do that?

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    ...you wanted to save, "preserve" them for
    future use years from now, how would you do that?
    The first Google result is here: https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...or-longer-life
    and per: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...last-10-years/ ..."When properly stored in a climate controlled warehouse, tires have an almost unlimited shelf life, and once they're on the road, proper care can add many years to a tire's life." and then goes on to say ""In general, we see six years of service with no more than 10 years of total life since manufacture."" Which seems to conflict with the first quote. Hmmmmmm

Then it appears the general consensus is that tires older than 6 years are expired regardless of mileage and simply storing them causes them to age and become less reliable.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The compounds in the tires continues to age once made and if they don't get worn out they change composition and are no longer usable after about 7 years. Exposure to heat and sunlight may accelerate that and storing in a cool, dark place unmounted may extend that. Figure 10 years max but inspect for "dry rot" or cracking, small tears, in the sidewalls. Also realize the rubber gets harder as tires get older so you get a harder ride and they won't grip the road as well. Replacing an old tire with a new one is no comparison as to brand since the new tire will ride SO much better no matter what brand you get.
    David Teitelbaum

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

tire storage

Thanks for the info....

My VIN:    1890

Quote Originally Posted by nkemp View Post
    "When properly stored in a climate controlled warehouse, tires have an almost unlimited shelf life, and once they're on the road, proper care can add many years to a tire's life."
    That's a bunch of double-talk to get you to accept tires that have been sitting in the warehouse for 3 years. On a recent visit to Discount to get an alignment on another vehicle, they said they could not do it because the tires had a date code more than 10-years old. I don't think they would care much about how long they had been properly stored.
    Robert
    1981 DeLorean #1890
    1976 Datsun 280Z
    1968 Pontiac Le Mans convertible

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Quote Originally Posted by DMC1890 View Post
    That's a bunch of double-talk to get you to accept tires that have been sitting in the warehouse for 3 years. On a recent visit to Discount to get an alignment on another vehicle, they said they could not do it because the tires had a date code more than 10-years old. I don't think they would care much about how long they had been properly stored.
    Did you mean a tire rotation instead of an alignment, since Discount doesn't do alignments? https://www.discounttire.com/learn/services-not-offered
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast