FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: What tires are you running on??? Its been 8 yrs.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

I ordered the Hankook Kinergy oem sized tires from Tire Rack and had them shipped to the local Pep Boys for installation. They put them on for me black wall out and with all the weights on the inside so the installation is clean. While Walmart was a bit cheaper on the purchase price, the pre-negotiated install price for installation was lower with the Tire Rack deal, and they threw in a 2 year road hazard warranty.

The tires drive fine, and are quiet. I live in So Cal and don't generally take the car out in driving rain so even though its only been a few days and 50 miles or so, I think I've see what they have to offer me.

My only complaint is aesthetics. The side walls are very busy, patterned and embossed and very modern looking compared to the old (15 year old actually) TA Radials that came off. The tread doesn't seem to wrap onto the side wall as much as the General Altimax might, based on the photos here, but its still a very busy side wall.

All in all I'm glad though to have new properly sized tires on the car. I wish I could get the side walls "shaved" to lose all the ugly detail, but that sounds like a bad idea even if it was possible.

Before (Radial TA) and after (Hankook Kinergy) photos below. Sorry they were not taken with the same lighting and lens, but the scale is close and you get the idea.

Tires.jpg

Why do I care really? Below is one of my favorite photos of the car, taken last year at the Peterson. The tire just looks right. I'm glad I got the photo before the Hankooks were mounted.

TTTDCMPetersonskyline.jpg

The Hankooks are perfectly serviceable decent quality tires at a very fair price. They won't be as good as the Pirellis, but they kinda look like they came off of something from the National Rent a Car lot to me. At least I won't die driving on them.

Tom

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There are mobile services that can come to your house (usually car dealers) and modify the sides of your tires. They can paint them, grind them, put raised lettering on them, paint whitewalls, red strips, you name it. In the meantime you should check that the wheel lugs are properly torqued and you have the correct tire pressures. Most places never install tires right.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

I will. I have just completed a lot of service items on the car including steering shaft so its time to go back and check a lot of items like that, thank you.

As for the mobile tire services, I believe you, but I can't come up with the right terms to put into a Google search to find results. I see one guy in AZ doing it.

I'm in the Los Angeles area, so if it exists anywhere, its got to be here. I'm sure I'd void my warranty, but its worth looking into.
    Last edited by TTait; 08-25-2020 at 05:24 AM.

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Walmart offers installation for $10 less per tire for tires ordered through them ($15/tire vs $25/tire). 30 years ago I would have been skeptical about not getting tires installed at a tire shop. No so much today.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    10625

Hey!

Great thread with a lot of good input.

My tires are from 2013, they still look good and have a lot of thread left, but I feel the age might make the tires ready for a change?

I talked to the local tire shop here in Norway, and got an offer on Cooper Cobra Radial 255/60/15 on the rear wheels with RWL (which is the look I want this time).

Like stated earlier in this thread its not possible to get matching radials for the fronts. However they made me an offer for other Cooper tires in the size 175/65/14, I have tried to google it, but can't seem to find anyone using these specs on the fronts? Is it even possible? Or is it better to go up in size rather?

My car is lowered with eibach and has stage 2, dont know if that plays in to this..

Any help or suggestions would be appriciated!
    1982 DMC-12, 2100 original miles, Stage ll, Euro-spec eibach suspension, 140 mph speedo.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by drdelorean View Post
    My tires are from 2013, they still look good and have a lot of thread left, but I feel the age might make the tires ready for a change?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
    Get rid of them. I would never run 10+ year old rubber on any of my vehicles.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

To answer your main question, yes, 175/65-14 front tires should fit.

From this tire size calculator you can compare that size to the original size or other sizes.

Neutral points: 175/65-14 tires' outside diameter is within 1% of original tires. So the fender clearance should be OK, the speedometer accuracy will be OK and ride height won't change. The size calculator also shows this size works with the 6 inch wide (original) front wheels.

There are three negative points to consider: With 20mm narrower tires the car will understeer even more than it normally does and it will have less cornering power overall. And from some angles the tire will, naturally, look narrow vs the originals. The original fronts already look somewhat narrow on such a low and wide car as a DeLorean.

One side note: from the Cooper Tire USA website I find no such tire size. Perhaps it is different in Norway.

I talked to the local tire shop here in Norway, and got an offer on Cooper Cobra Radial 255/60/15 on the rear wheels with RWL (which is the look I want this time).

Like stated earlier in this thread its not possible to get matching radials for the fronts. However they made me an offer for other Cooper tires in the size 175/65/14, I have tried to google it, but can't seem to find anyone using these specs on the fronts? Is it even possible? Or is it better to go up in size rather?

My car is lowered with eibach and has stage 2, dont know if that plays in to this..
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    10625

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    To answer your main question, yes, 175/65-14 front tires should fit.

From this tire size calculator you can compare that size to the original size or other sizes.

Neutral points: 175/65-14 tires' outside diameter is within 1% of original tires. So the fender clearance should be OK, the speedometer accuracy will be OK and ride height won't change. The size calculator also shows this size works with the 6 inch wide (original) front wheels.

There are three negative points to consider: With 20mm narrower tires the car will understeer even more than it normally does and it will have less cornering power overall. And from some angles the tire will, naturally, look narrow vs the originals. The original fronts already look somewhat narrow on such a low and wide car as a DeLorean.

One side note: from the Cooper Tire USA website I find no such tire size. Perhaps it is different in Norway.
    Hi Rich!

And thank you for a very informative reply.
    I will double check with the shop if the size is correct. Still debating maybe to go with different brand on the fronts to match the original dimmensions.
    Or like I wrote, is it problematic to go up in size to 205/60/14 for example, considering my Delorean is lowered?
    1982 DMC-12, 2100 original miles, Stage ll, Euro-spec eibach suspension, 140 mph speedo.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

In reverse order of your questions/ideas:

-----------------------
    I cannot entirely answer your question about using 205/60-14 tires in front.

I have seen two DeLoreans running 205mm section width in front. Both of those cars used highly modified (reconstructed) front suspensions with narrower track dimension. This suggests the factory suspension/fenders will not accept 205mm tires in front.

Perhaps others in this forum can comment about using 205s in front?

------------------------
    I recommend you use the factory tire sizes because the car will handle well, look correct and this option is quite affordable. It is also safe.

Here is one idea that may make this option better for you, especially since you want raised white letter tires. Did you know you can modify tires with aftermarket white letters (decals)? "Goodyear Eagle GT" is the BTTF classic. You may like "BF Goodrich Radial T/A"? These letters and logos can now be custom-made in white or other colors. The owner applies them to the tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3zairQusxI

Here are just 2 of many tire decal vendors. I have no experience with them and know of no DMC owners using them locally. Best luck in your search for a solution.

Vendor 1
    Vendor 2

...Still debating maybe to go with different brand on the fronts to match the original dimensions.
    Or like I wrote, is it problematic to go up in size to 205/60/14 for example, considering my Delorean is lowered?
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    2245

If you want your tires to match and be the correct sizes, you can get the hankook tires. Unless you are specifically wanting a different size? You can go up in size on the rears but I wouldn't do anything else. The stock sizes let the front end let go first, you can feel this in the steering when you can still do something about it. If you change sizes to something that lets the rear end let go first you will crash and might die.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast