Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: What tires are you running on??? Its been 8 yrs.

Delorean Guru

My VIN:    10757

Club(s):   (DMA)

When you buy old tires there is no way you can know what conditions they were stored in during that time. Sometimes 3 of the 4 tires will be OK but they toss one really old one in hoping no one will notice. After all, how many people will actually read the date codes on the new tires they just bought? Like food stores, tire places are supposed to work on FIFO (First one In-First one Out) to rotate their stock and always have the oldest stock rotated out. Sometimes they find an old one and have to pass it off onto someone. One of the dirty little secrets of the tire industry. Don't be that someone. Also, when balancing a tire, if they have to use excessive weight and multiple times to get it balanced (and it isn't a bent rim) that tire is defective and should not be used but many tire shops will just keep throwing weights onto it and hope the owner doesn't know any better.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    1890

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    Did you mean a tire rotation instead of an alignment, since Discount doesn't do alignments? https://www.discounttire.com/learn/services-not-offered
    I think they might do a toe-in, but they did refer me to a proper shop that found a caster problem (Ram pickup).
    Robert
    1981 DeLorean #1890
    1976 Datsun 280Z
    1968 Pontiac Le Mans convertible

My VIN:    10907

Quote Originally Posted by DMC1890 View Post
    I recently replaced my 22 yr-old tires on my recently reborn D with Ohtsu FP0612 (225/60/15 rear, 195/60/14 front), on stock wheels with stock suspension. I wanted matching appearance, and to me the size looks fine. I won't be going 88 MPH, and won't put on more than a few miles per month, never in rain or snow. I got these from Discount.
    That's what I have on mine, I didn't even know they weren't the right ones. FWIW, I've gotten caught out in blizzards and squall lines more than once and haven't ended up in a ditch. If the front ones are the correct size my speedo/odometer should still read correctly, right?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    That's what I have on mine, I didn't even know they weren't the right ones. FWIW, I've gotten caught out in blizzards and squall lines more than once and haven't ended up in a ditch. If the front ones are the correct size my speedo/odometer should still read correctly, right?
    I think they are a good choice for a matching set in a 225 size. The difference between 225 and the OEM 235 is 10 mm so, all things being equal, it's barely noticeable. I have 225s too and they perform well, but my tire installer needed to blast extra compressed air around the bead to get them to expand on the rim and seal. So, he said that the downside to this slightly undersized tire is I won't be able to temporarily fix a flat on the side of the road with those repair-in-a can products.

Regarding the brand, Otshu is in the same corporate family as the performance brand Falken. I have Falkens and the Otshu FP0612 have the same tread profile. I bet that they are the same/similar tire.

Here's a review: https://talkcarswell.com/ohtsu-fp0612-a-s-tire-review/

I was suitably impressed at the Falkens so I decided to try the Otshu 8000 for my daily driver. They have also performed well for the last 2 years.

Also, you are correct, if the front size is the same as stock size, then your speedo is fine.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8