FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What tires are you running on??? Its been 8 yrs.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboyusa View Post
    I just put new tread on 11749 three months back. I soul-searched through all the issues mentioned in this thread (go bigger, go smaller, go different makes/models to match OEM size). In the end, I went with the BFG Radial T/A RWL 245/60/15s on the back and 215/60/14s up front. My main reasons for doing this: I wanted the same tire on front and back (couldn't do the CS3/CS5 as they simply look too different), and didn't want to knock the back down to 225 to get matching fronts/backs. So far, no regrets: I like the bigger tire filling up the front wheel well more, and the RWL grows on me each day.
    Got any pics of this setup?

Is your car lowered? Any rubbing issues with the wider fronts?

I might be interested in this setup in the future :-)

Second the call for pics, but will extend it to anyone running tires with white lettering. Bonus points for whitewall tires. (Wonder if anyone has done graywall?)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I wanted the Kumhos but they proved impossible to find. That's what eventually led me to the General Altimax RT43.
    I just refreshed my DeLorean spare (125/70 R15). I found a Kumho at a local Discount Tire (I used their web site search tool). 45 minutes later and $63.00 + wheel mount/balancing/tax and I was out of there with my refreshed spare.

Funny thing is, I went to the Kumho web site and that tire is not even offered. Does that mean Kumho has discontinued that size, and the tire I got was old stock?

I checked the manufacture date of my new spare, and it is about 3 years old. That may sound bad, but I'm still glad I got it, because what it replaced was pre-2000 (looked good...perfect tread, but it didn't hold air, and the rubber was hard as concrete). This new Kumho, even starting at 3 years old, is insurance worth the price, I felt.

Thomas

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

I actually got lazy and bought a Nissan Versa spare tire from eBay. Same size, I think even four lug nuts too. I mean hey, Nissan must have some supplier, can't hurt to use the rim too (well, THAT badly, it does have a 50-mile life after all).

Come to think of it, isn't a bad idea at all to find cars with 4 lug nuts and check service desks to see who has a matching size rubber.

My VIN:    Between VINs

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Second the call for pics, but will extend it to anyone running tires with white lettering. Bonus points for whitewall tires. (Wonder if anyone has done graywall?)
    I third this request. My car is slightly lowered. And the tires that are on it were bought in 2011 and I suspect they were old stock then so I'm due for new rubber soon.

They're only .7" wider but they're a full 1" taller up front. Rears look like they'd be fine as the difference from stock is nominal.

The picture he posted in his thread shows a car that, when purchased, has the stock US ride height. He could have changed that since then but my guess is he didn't since he said he liked how it filled the wheel well. Just an inference though.
    Last edited by dodint; 01-12-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    I just refreshed my DeLorean spare (125/70 R15). I found a Kumho at a local Discount Tire (I used their web site search tool). 45 minutes later and $63.00 + wheel mount/balancing/tax and I was out of there with my refreshed spare.

Funny thing is, I went to the Kumho web site and that tire is not even offered. Does that mean Kumho has discontinued that size, and the tire I got was old stock?
    More directly answering that question as I see I didn't before: yes. DPI Josh confirmed this at one point back when they first discontinued it (<4 degrees of Kumho rep / Kevin Bacon), and everyone was saying he was wrong because NTB for example had them. Nevermind that they're ordered in batches.

As cars shift further away from spare tires to offset fuel economy needs (still waiting for them to wise up and slim down interior weight), the demand isn't there for spare rubber unless a manufacturer strikes a contract. Problem is, usually they are attached to rims also, but perhaps the best news: most "donut" spares I've seen are the same size that the DeLorean needs, so we're not in danger of extinction of the spare sizes any time soon.

As long as donut spares are still selling included with the car or available later, we should have a source somewhere. I don't think we can be nitpicky on who supplies it, but also remember it's lifespan is 50 miles one-use-only anyhow. That said, would be interested in seeing data on how old a spare can be before it's unsafe, knowing they're stored at 60 PSI. I'd argue far sooner than the main four tires personally.

My VIN:    11749

Club(s):   (RMDG)

Hey guys...sorry for being so slow in posting pics (cool to blame the Colorado ski season? =). Took this one today; hope it helps show the white lettering. After being around the car for 7 months now with the white lettering out, I still like the decision as much as the day I decided to do it. I know to each their own so welcome your thoughts. Also, please remember that the fronts are 215s, not 195s and again, to each their own, but I like how it gives the front end (or at least the front wheel wells) a more beefy/full feel.
    Attached Images
    -Rob
    #11749, '65 Vette, '65 'Stang

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

I have a matching set Michelin Pilot's on mine. I am planning on going to BF Goodrich Radial T/As in the back when they are needed and Not sure for the fronts as of yet. (Wish there was a matching set of Radial T/As, Love the look of raised white letters) From what I understand The Michelin's aren't made any longer.

My VIN:    1597

I still have not bought any tires. Just as I think I have found what I want either someone praises another brand, I find out ones that many are praising are as old as mine and no longer around....
    So yeah, any one who has a link to mid to higher end tires that are a good match "in stock and current" feel free to post the link. Not picky but avoiding Chinese or Japanese names and raised white lettering. Cost really is not a issue.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    11749

Club(s):   (RMDG)

The BFG Radial T/As are easy to find, usually in stock, and you can put the blackwalls out/not go RWL. They have the OEM back size in these, but the fronts need to be either smaller (185s) or bigger (the 215s which I went with). My Dad's a 37-year Firestone veteran so trust me when I say I did the same research you're doing and the choice is simple: Either compromise on the vendor/line of front/back and stay OEM sizes, or stay same vendor/line and go with a different size front, back, or front and back. That's it. I, of course, take no pleasure in saying what I just said as I so want there to be an easy-to-get OEM set from the same vendor in the same line. #aboycandream
    Last edited by spaceboyusa; 04-24-2018 at 04:08 PM.
    -Rob
    #11749, '65 Vette, '65 'Stang

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast