FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What tires are you running on??? Its been 8 yrs.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You are right and wrong. The weight distribution is the source of the problem. Lotus did the best they could do with the technology and engineering available at the time. They also had to meet the price point so they had to stay in budget using as many off-the-shelf parts as possible and also save on tooling and production costs. What we have is the best compromise they could achieve while minimizing all of the bad effects. Pretty good for a 1st gen production car. I am sure it would have gotten better and better. For instance there is no rear sway bar. The car was not meant to be a track car but it really isn't a sports car either. Anyway, the design of the suspension is very dependent on the size of the tires with no brake proportioning and no ABS or traction control to mitigate the bad characteristics of the car. On new cars with drive-by-wire, you can tailor the feel and the control effects so you can't get yourself into trouble. They couldn't do that in 1980.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You are right and wrong. The weight distribution is the source of the problem. Lotus did the best they could do with the technology and engineering available at the time. They also had to meet the price point so they had to stay in budget using as many off-the-shelf parts as possible and also save on tooling and production costs. What we have is the best compromise they could achieve while minimizing all of the bad effects. Pretty good for a 1st gen production car. I am sure it would have gotten better and better. For instance there is no rear sway bar. The car was not meant to be a track car but it really isn't a sports car either. Anyway, the design of the suspension is very dependent on the size of the tires with no brake proportioning and no ABS or traction control to mitigate the bad characteristics of the car. On new cars with drive-by-wire, you can tailor the feel and the control effects so you can't get yourself into trouble. They couldn't do that in 1980.
    I dont see how I am wrong.

You just are explaining why the design is poor.

Also, my car is drive by wire.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Im not sure why everyone gets so concerned about having matching tires.
    I think it is more of a concern putting too narrow of tires on the rear.

I have tried several different setups on my car and 235/60r15 BFGs on the back and whatever the highest rated 195/60r14 at the time (here and on tirerack) is what the car gets. Put the white lettering in, or leave the white lettering out on the rears and use tire stickers on the front.
    Agreed. Like I said in the other thread, there is no such thing as matching fronts and rear on a DeLorean, except for aesthetics...

Going to a wider tire size in the rear means a wider footprint and lower pressure per square inch so less traction.
    wait. what?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

A bigger (wider) tire spreads the weight out over a larger area so the pressure per square inch is lower so while you have more surface area in contact with the road, you have a lighter pressure. Less grip. Don't confuse this with the air pressure inside the tire.
    David Teitelbaum

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

A bigger (wider) tire spreads the weight out over a larger area so the pressure per square inch is lower so while you have more surface area in contact with the road, you have a lighter pressure. Less grip. Don't confuse this with the air pressure inside the tire.
    It is not that cut and dry. All other things being equal (car weight, air pressure, etc), a wider tire will give a car more grip, with exceptions.

For our cars with a stock motor and with regular street driving, tire width probably makes little noticeable difference. Wide tire, skinny tire, go with what you like. Taking your car to the track? You should care more about the size and likely choose the wider tire for... wait for it... better grip.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

Yokohama new "hobby tires"

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/y...rs-140813.html
    I can't find any exact sizes but there are 14 and 15 inch diameter coming out.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by L3V3L1 View Post
    https://www.autoevolution.com/news/y...rs-140813.html
    I can't find any exact sizes but there are 14 and 15 inch diameter coming out.
    That's great news. I'll be honest, I'm glad someone is [possibly] doing this but I would be much happier if it were not Yokohama. I went to their website as the article said they were avaliable. That site sucks wet dog fur. I figure I got about 3 years life left out of mine, maybe by then they will have tires for us and a way to order them.

Edit
    After more research most of us are out of luck. Only available in Japan. Also not really the look I wanted but I would rock them just the same.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...yokohama-tires
    Last edited by Michael; 02-05-2020 at 07:54 AM.

If you can lower the car, Toyo R888r look great and perform better than anything sky of slicks. With stock height they look odd though.
    Last edited by white out; 02-06-2020 at 02:18 AM.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by white out View Post
    If you can lower the car, Toyo R888r look great and perform better than anything sky of slicks. With stock height they look odd though.
    how are they in the rain though?

Also none of the sizes are very close to stock. I know your setup is different though.

185/60r14

235/50r15
    Last edited by Josh; 02-06-2020 at 03:02 PM.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast