FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: What tires are you running on??? Its been 8 yrs.

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    I just noticed this '83 for sale at DMC Florida appears to have the Hankook Kinergy ST tires installed front & rear in the correct 195/60/14 & 235/60/15 sizes. You can see the rears are in fact raised white letters, but in this instance the RWL side is mounted on the inside. Outwardly, the sidewalls seem to be identical front to back. It'll be interesting to hear how these tires perform. Are they smooth, quiet, easy to balance, etc.

https://www.delorean.com/1983-dmc-delorean-c-5651.htm
    Someone posted on Reddit today that they bought an unlisted car from there, very similar to the one you linked above. Someone in the comments even thought it was that 83 car as well. Anyway, looks like it has the Hankook tires installed as well, and the picture shows them pretty well.

https://i.redd.it/w2bcw0o1y3651.jpg

https://old.reddit.com/r/delorean/co...ltimate_dmc12/
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

(Brodizzle83). Just recently installed the Hankook Kinergy ST’s set on his car. He might chime in here with a road report. I suspect they are reasonably quiet, but lets be real, the road surface makes the biggest impact on noise.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    2805

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I ordered the Hankook Kinergy ST set and they were delivered today. I’m hoping to have them installed in the next week. My plan is to put the RWL on the inside as well. I’ll report back with pics and thoughts once installed.

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Quote Originally Posted by Nate88 View Post
    ... to put the RWL on the inside ...
    Has anyone tried the tire paint/markers to black out the RWL's? I know it is a tiniest of nits but I prefer not seeing the letters when one looks under the car.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

BC9618BA-472A-4CF4-AAE9-549822266F8C.jpg3EFCF533-ADDE-4E96-A50D-72F0668C0883.jpg

Got the tires installed yesterday. They replaced 12 year old Prime-Well's that the PO had installed when getting the car back on the road in 2011/2012 (so that means they were already 4 years old when installed!). They seemed fine with no signs of age and plenty of tread left, but they were getting too old for my liking.

The Hankook Kinergy ST's ride well. The sidewalls seem a bit softer than the Prime-Wells, but I'm still able to take my favorite back road curves at my usual speeds (55-60mph on curves marked for 30, this is in the country with the speed limit of 55mph). You don't really notice the RWLs in the rear, which I had put on the inside. I don't think it'll be an issue. In fact, I discovered the Prime-Wells were RWLs as well (which were on the inside) but they were dirty enough that you could barely notice.

Overall I'm pretty happy with them, are they the best tire for the car? Probably not, but I liked the fact that you could get a matching set while keeping the rear tires the same width as stock and the performance (for my driving) didn't seem diminished.
    Last edited by Nate88; 08-13-2020 at 08:11 PM.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

How quiet are they at highway speed?

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

BC9618BA-472A-4CF4-AAE9-549822266F8C.jpg3EFCF533-ADDE-4E96-A50D-72F0668C0883.jpg

Got the tires installed yesterday. They replaced 12 year old Prime-Well's that the PO had installed when getting the car back on the road in 2011/2012 (so that means they were already 4 years old when installed!). They seemed fine with no signs of age and plenty of tread left, but they were getting too old for my liking.

The Hankook Kinergy ST's ride well. The sidewalls seem a bit softer than the Prime-Wells, but I'm still able to take my favorite back road curves at my usual speeds (55-60mph on curves marked for 30, this is in the country with the speed limit of 55mph). You don't really notice the RWLs in the rear, which I had put on the inside. I don't think it'll be an issue. In fact, I discovered the Prime-Wells were RWLs as well (which were on the inside) but they were dirty enough that you could barely notice.

Overall I'm pretty happy with them, are they the best tire for the car? Probably not, but I liked the fact that you could get a matching set while keeping the rear tires the same width as stock and the performance (for my driving) didn't seem diminished.
    I think they look fine. I prefer the look of my existing and matching Cooper Cobras, but I can definitely see myself getting these in the near future for the sake of matching. Thanks for the update!
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    How quiet are they at highway speed?
    The fastest I’ve gone so far is 60-65mph on country roads, so I haven’t been on an actual highway yet. They seemed quiet, but I wasn’t really paying attention to that. I also like to have the radio on so that didn’t help either. When I go for another drive I’ll pay attention to that more.

My VIN:    16506

The fastest I’ve gone so far is 60-65mph on country roads, so I haven’t been on an actual highway yet. They seemed quiet, but I wasn’t really paying attention to that. I also like to have the radio on so that didn’t help either. When I go for another drive I’ll pay attention to that more.
    I will challenge Nate to a highway drag race this weekend so he will be able to report back on Monday how loud (or not) the tires are! :-)
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    I will challenge Nate to a highway drag race this weekend so he will be able to report back on Monday how loud (or not) the tires are! :-)
    You’re on!

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast