FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: What tires are you running on??? Its been 8 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboyusa View Post
    The BFG Radial T/As are easy to find, usually in stock, and you can put the blackwalls out/not go RWL. They have the OEM back size in these, but the fronts need to be either smaller (185s) or bigger (the 215s which I went with). My Dad's a 37-year Firestone veteran so trust me when I say I did the same research you're doing and the choice is simple: Either compromise on the vendor/line of front/back and stay OEM sizes, or stay same vendor/line and go with a different size front, back, or front and back. That's it. I, of course, take no pleasure in saying what I just said as I so want there to be an easy-to-get OEM set from the same vendor in the same line. #aboycandream
    Rob,
    Did you go with P215/70R14 96S for the front BFG tires? Is there any issue with the tire rubbing with full turn?
    Ron

My VIN:    1597

Spaceboy......
    Are you running stock or lowered?

I have iirc Eibach all around and the fronts/rears are about as low as it gets. I have not looked the up the larger tire you suggested.
    Unlike most, my D sits mostly during the summer so I have lots of time. I actually need tired for 3 cars so within the next month going to be buying some rubber.

BTW- Just 2 msc pics for those who stumble across.
    Pic 1 is how close the rear bolt/shock comes to the rear tire wall. I was always concerned if ran LOW it could scrape but assured it could not happen.

2nd is a brand NEW front after only 200 miles!! Both were toed in really bad and ruined in 3 hrs. Driving this car with a light front, toed in and in rain was one of the most scary things I have ever done. If your front end "dances" and chatters in rain check alignment. Also imo the front "optional, no longer made iirc" ss bar that connects the front 2 shock towers really makes a difference in this car as does added weight.

This is my new helper bred specifically for low cars.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by JIMJAM; 04-25-2018 at 01:19 PM.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    11749

Club(s):   (RMDG)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Rob,
    Did you go with P215/70R14 96S for the front BFG tires? Is there any issue with the tire rubbing with full turn?
    Ron
    I went with BFG Radial T/As P215/60R15 on the front, and yes, I have a little rubbing on the passenger side tie rod at a full 100% left turn as well as a little rubbing on the plastic black trim at the bottom of the front end that wraps around to the bottom front of the wheel well. I solved the latter by dremelling it down a bit from the inside so that from the outside, there's no impact to the cosmetic visible nature of the piece. As for the rubbing on the tie rod, I figure I have bigger problems to worry about if I'm cranked 100% left on the wheel with such force that the rubbing would cause damage to the tire. FWIW, the Discount Tire guy that mounted the tires, who has put tires on all my cars for the past 10 years, said my rubbing on the tie rod is nowhere near the rubbing he sees when guys put oversized tires on Jeeps. Not trying to justify anything; just telling you what I was told.
    -Rob
    #11749, '65 Vette, '65 'Stang

Quote Originally Posted by JIMJAM View Post
    Spaceboy......
    Are you running stock or lowered?
    Stock.
    -Rob

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboyusa View Post
    I went with BFG Radial T/As P215/60R15 on the front, and yes, I have a little rubbing on the passenger side tie rod at a full 100% left turn as well as a little rubbing on the plastic black trim at the bottom of the front end that wraps around to the bottom front of the wheel well. I solved the latter by dremelling it down a bit from the inside so that from the outside, there's no impact to the cosmetic visible nature of the piece. As for the rubbing on the tie rod, I figure I have bigger problems to worry about if I'm cranked 100% left on the wheel with such force that the rubbing would cause damage to the tire. FWIW, the Discount Tire guy that mounted the tires, who has put tires on all my cars for the past 10 years, said my rubbing on the tie rod is nowhere near the rubbing he sees when guys put oversized tires on Jeeps. Not trying to justify anything; just telling you what I was told.
    So you have 15 inch wheels in the front? Are you using rear DeLorean wheels for front rims?

Apologies, total typo in my post...will try to edit. I'm on stock rims so I meant/I'm on 215/60R14s in the front. Sorry for the confusion.
    -Rob

My VIN:    15874

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin 02530 View Post
    195/60/14 Cooper Touring in the front and 235/60/15Cooper Cobras in the rear. Drives great! Tread patterns are not the same but at least the brand is matching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just ordered this particular set-- white letters on the rear. There seems to be a logic to me to have the front tires that are cutting through water on wet pavement to be all-season, clearing the path for the grippier powered tires in the rear.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodF1 View Post
    I just ordered this particular set-- white letters on the rear. There seems to be a logic to me to have the front tires that are cutting through water on wet pavement to be all-season, clearing the path for the grippier powered tires in the rear.
    I'm happy to report that in year two running on Coopers I've had zero issues or complaints. Probably covered 4,000 miles or thereabouts.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    1597

I also have a 2005 Mustang GT that I just replaced the original tires last week. Tires were 19 years old but only had 10 thousand on them. Looked brand new but it was time. Quickly noticed the new tires felt like I put softer shocks on the car so the old tires were getting brittle.
    That said I still have not decided on which tires to put on the D. Seeing I am only putting about 30 miles a month on it, like the Stang no hurry.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

I recently installed Riken Raptors on the front and I am running older Michelin 's on the rear. I will most likely go to BFG Radial T/A's in the rear when the time comes.

The Rikens are the correct size, Got them from Tire rack, and drive very nice, no complaints. the price was great too.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast