FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: VIN 2545 for sale at Streetside Classics in Atlanta GA.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    So you didn't read the thread, then?

At least you're consistent.
    Just a little insight I have picked up over the last 12 years in the game and 9 years as a owner. If I'm honest I see a lot of owners bitching about a car that sells for more than the accepted collective value given to it...which always puzzled me on two fronts. Why would a owner be upset to see his asset appreciate and why is everyone so locked into the fact that all DeLoreans are 25k and that will never change? See bitcoin this year?
    Last edited by Michael; 11-27-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

$50k is the gas station price of my car.

Meaning, whenever I'm trying to get gas and someone tells me they want to buy it.

$50k in cash and I'll go get the title right now!

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

They should really lower the price by at least $10,000 for lacking a DMC issued lower engine cover prop stick.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Just a little insight I have picked up over the last 12 years in the game and 9 years as a owner. If I'm honest I see a lot of owners bitching about a car that sells for more than the accepted collective value given to it...which always puzzled me on two fronts. Why would a owner be upset to see his asset appreciate and why is everyone so locked into the fact that all DeLoreans are 25k and that will never change? See bitcoin this year?
    Its funny you mention the $25k. Remember when the $25k rule was all the rage? "Whether you buy a nice one for $25k, or a project for $15k and put $10k into it, every DeLorean is $25k." I remember hearing that on the forum and in the community all the time. Heck, I remember telling people that at car shows. Granted it's been quite a few years now, but it's interesting how the market changes. I feel like it's been at least 5 years since I've heard it said seriously. I suppose there isn't really as much of a rule of thumb anymore. It seems like nice cars have gone up in value a lot faster than project cars have.

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Yea, consistency on what these cars list (or sell for) is all over the map.

It was only a month or two ago when two different cars sold for what appeared to be $23,900 USD. One was on consignment through Midwest and the other might have been on here. They both looked like good drivers without any huge issues or problems.

The car Chris mentioned in this thread doesn't have any huge issues or deficiencies either, but $50k is a long way from $24k.
    Checking out the DeLoreans that have sold on eBay recently tells a much different story than these rather schizophrenic asking prices we've seen lately. Since August 31, here are the completed sale prices in ascending order:

$6,000
    $16,900
    $21,400
    $23,900
    $27,520
    $28,000
    $32,000
    $36,950
    $45,000

That equals an average sale price of $26,408 and a median sale price of $27,520. Not quite the $50k everybody is asking for DeLoreans these days.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    Between VINs

Yup, that's the data I was alluding to earlier. A small part of the marketplace but interesting nonetheless.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    Checking out the DeLoreans that have sold on eBay recently tells a much different story than these rather schizophrenic asking prices we've seen lately. Since August 31, here are the completed sale prices in ascending order:

$6,000
    $16,900
    $21,400
    $23,900
    $27,520
    $28,000
    $32,000
    $36,950
    $45,000

That equals an average sale price of $26,408 and a median sale price of $27,520. Not quite the $50k everybody is asking for DeLoreans these days.
    Your own data contradicts your statement that everyone is asking 50k. In fact, it would seem that on eBay at least, nobody is asking 50k and selling for less and in most cases, far far less.

Maybe the 45k car was a low mileage unicorn fetching a premium. The logic of factoring all sold cars to come up with a average is questionable at best. It may be fun to compare but imo it doesn't justify any asking price. If I have a mint condition car and some Yahoo comes up to me with eBay sales of 5 heaps saying my price is way to high then that doesn't change the value of my car. If however you had sales figures for cars in similar condition throughout a reasonable time window then you might have an argument.

I never have an issue with someone asking more than they would accept. It's quite common practice in pretty much every facet of sales, especially cars.
    Last edited by Michael; 11-27-2017 at 09:17 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Not knowing the actual condition of each car makes it difficult to know if the selling price was an actual reflection of the car's value. Your analysis is a nice statistical exercise but it is flawed without knowing the condition. In the car market prices are based on the value of a car in #1 condition and dollars are deducted for flaws, excess mileage, non-stock items, missing items, etc. Geography also affects the price as would any "provenance". Right now a perfect Delorean with low mileage is probably in the $50-60K range. We are way past the $25K but you can still find a good driver for that but expect cosmetic issues and a lot of differed maintenance items. On this car $50K is ambitious but a seller always starts out high so they have room to negotiate. You could probably get this car for $40K and from the looks of it, it is probably worth about that. Of course it would take an up close inspection and a drive to know for sure.
    David Teitelbaum

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2