FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's the best cig USB charger plug that's flush?

What's the best cig USB charger plug that's flush?

Or is it better to replace the lighter with a USB unit for a more professional look?
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

My VIN:    03500

Be careful. You definitely don't want one that has a metal retaining ring at the bottom it will short out.

Dave B.

My VIN:    1058

I prefer the double outlet versions. also you need to get a 2.5 amp output. some of the cheaper ones are low amp and won't fast charge your hardware.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I installed one that fits our European type B lighter. Not completely flush but ends up looking like the original lighter. Here's a link to the thread with photos:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...t-issues/page2

It looks like the amazon link stopped working. Here is a newer link:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ron
    Last edited by DMC-Ron; 11-30-2017 at 01:52 AM.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    I installed one that fits our European type B lighter. Not completely flush but ends up looking like the original lighter. Here's a link to the thread with photos:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...t-issues/page2

It looks like the amazon link stopped working. Here is a newer link:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ron
    A couple questions:

1.) Do you just leave it in place all the time, even when not being used? (Assuming it isn't putting any kind of load on the electrical system if nothing is plugged into it?)
    2.) How do you get it out when you want to remove it? (If sitting as close to flush as possible there's not much to grab onto to... does it "pop" out like a hot cigar lighter would?)

I still use the cigar lighter end adapter for a couple of my gadgets (GPS mainly). When it's not being used, I put a little plastic cap over it just for appearances. Sort of like a "dummy" lighter the way we have a couple dummy window switches. I got it off of eBay from China and it was about $2. Better than the $16 the local BMW dealership wanted as that was where I got the idea originally after seeing something like this in a car in their showroom. Took an eternity to get here from overseas though, but it finally did.

Power plug dust cap 1.jpgPower plug dust cap 2.jpgJason pic 2.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10270

If you find a charger that you like but it doesn't fit snguly, I posted a little hack that works with many devices.

Should work with anything having a negative mechanism like this. Doesn't work with adapters like this, tho.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    3294

When I redid my stereo back in the winter of 2015-16, I installed a hard-wired 12v USB charging port in the metal console ashtray. I've got the actual 12v charging power supply thing installed in the relay compartment, and the USB / HDMI socket installed in the ashtray. When it's not in use, I can slide the metal cover shut and you can't tell it's even there.

I found this rubber molded USB/HDMI combo socket thing on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and the USB wire goes back to the relay compartment under the console, and the HDMI cable goes under the console up to the rear of the new stereo head unit. My Jensen VX4012 stereo can to HDMI / MHL mirroring, so I can literally plug my phone into my console, and whatever is on my phone screen, shows up on my stereo video screen. Since the stereo video screen is also a touch screen, I can control the phone from the stereo screen if I wanted to.

Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    3294

For what it's worth, you can get a replacement 12v lighter socket for the console that is a direct plug-n-play drop in replacement for the Delorean lighter socket, but has the right diameter socket for US 12v accessories from the GoWesty.com website for $17 and some change. It's the Volkwagon Vanagon forums page, but it works perfectly in our cars. Same green illuminated trim ring too. Wiring is the exact same as ours.

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=4471
    Last edited by bfloyd; 11-30-2017 at 11:56 AM.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd View Post
    For what it's worth, you can get a replacement 12v lighter socket for the console that is a direct plug-n-play drop in replacement for the Delorean lighter socket, but has the right diameter socket for US 12v accessories from the GoWesty.com website for $17 and some change. It's the Volkwagon Vanagon forums page, but it works perfectly in our cars. Same green illuminated trim ring too. Wiring is the exact same as ours.

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=4471
    I can vouch for those GoWesty units also. I got one in 2011 and have not had any trouble with it at all. Great price and your North American style power plugs don't pop out unexpectedly!

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    A couple questions:

1.) Do you just leave it in place all the time, even when not being used? (Assuming it isn't putting any kind of load on the electrical system if nothing is plugged into it?)
    2.) How do you get it out when you want to remove it? (If sitting as close to flush as possible there's not much to grab onto to... does it "pop" out like a hot cigar lighter would?)

I still use the cigar lighter end adapter for a couple of my gadgets (GPS mainly). When it's not being used, I put a little plastic cap over it just for appearances. Sort of like a "dummy" lighter the way we have a couple dummy window switches. I got it off of eBay from China and it was about $2. Better than the $16 the local BMW dealership wanted as that was where I got the idea originally after seeing something like this in a car in their showroom. Took an eternity to get here from overseas though, but it finally did.

Power plug dust cap 1.jpgPower plug dust cap 2.jpgJason pic 2.jpg
    1. I leave it in place. I measured the current draw (with nothing plugged in) at 1 mA (0.001 amps).
    2. It comes out easily. Thumb and forefinger on the rim and it will pull right out. My lighter socket is in good condition. If you were to have a little corrosion I would lube the charger with some Corrosion X or some other product that will protect and act as anti-seize.

Ron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast