FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Door panels

My VIN:    4328

Door panels

So I've been wondering, Are the Lower door panels that have the integrated pull strap in them the same as the panels without the strap? I have the older version where the strap is wrapped around the pull handle but I would like someday to swap them for panels that have the integrated strap. If they are compatible, does anyone have a set for the drivers and passenger sides with integrated handles in gray?

Quote Originally Posted by TheStoot View Post
    So I've been wondering, Are the Lower door panels that have the integrated pull strap in them the same as the panels without the strap? I have the older version where the strap is wrapped around the pull handle but I would like someday to swap them for panels that have the integrated strap. If they are compatible, does anyone have a set for the drivers and passenger sides with integrated handles in gray?
    They are the same. Either style will work on any car.

Anybody got a pic of the panel with the integrated strap?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    They are the same. Either style will work on any car.
    This is incorrect in a way. While either panel will fit the car, they're not the same. The early lower panels have the strap looped around the handle. The later panels have a slot for the strap in the arm rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Anybody got a pic of the panel with the integrated strap?
    google.com --> "delorean door strap" --> images
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    4328

Yea I emant the same as in they will both bolt up the same. I got the style that loops around, however I'd like to get a gray set of integrated if anyone has any they are selling

I notice the "in door" strap is back from the handle. I wonder why they didn't put the handle back there. Being so far forward is half the problem.

IMG_0480.jpg

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I would guess the handle is placed where it is so you close the door evenly and aligned instead of from one side where it may be misaligned, like trying to close the door from the outside by pushing down on the mirror.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    This is incorrect in a way. While either panel will fit the car, they're not the same. The early lower panels have the strap looped around the handle. The later panels have a slot for the strap in the arm rest.
    You misunderstood me. I meant the same as in “will fit on the car the same way.” That’s why I said either style will work.

My VIN:    16563

I have an 83 that has the strap exit the upper door panel. I needed a replacement which did not have the hole. But it was as simple as cutting the slot for the plastic piece after I had them recovered with Nappa Leather. I also had new straps made as well and the handles covered. Im not a fan of straps but when you're all buckled in, its much nicer to reach it than the strap wrapped around the handle. Looks cleaner too. If I had an earlier delorean, I would update the strap through the panel right away. delorean Door Strap.jpg
    1983 Delorean-auto, black/gray int. 38k miles

Quote Originally Posted by artisticent View Post
    I have an 83 that has the strap exit the upper door panel. I needed a replacement which did not have the hole. But it was as simple as cutting the slot for the plastic piece after I had them recovered with Nappa Leather. I also had new straps made as well and the handles covered. Im not a fan of straps but when you're all buckled in, its much nicer to reach it than the strap wrapped around the handle. Looks cleaner too. If I had an earlier delorean, I would update the strap through the panel right away. delorean Door Strap.jpg
    How are you securing it inside the door? Do all doors have a place to secure the strap inside? I was wondering if the strap will be trying to deform the panel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast