FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Best battery cut off switch?

Best battery cut off switch?

I've currently got the big red plastic key switch. It pokes the passenger seat preventing it from going back all the way. What's the slickest setup do that the seat goes back and I can still reach over and turn it off?
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

My VIN:    16409

Here's what I did. I made an aluminum bracket that I attahced the swtich to. Then I bonded the assembly to the floor of the battery compartment. The brand of switch I went with is Pollack. See below.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here's an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291751788564
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 11-29-2017 at 01:52 AM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Here is the one I got:

$7 or less on eBay. Here's an example:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/311845505780

I put it on the recommended negative post to hide it but others have installed it on the positive side for easy access.

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Thanks guys!
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Spend a little bit more and get the one like Chris got but get it with a removable plastic key. Gives you more security, you can remove the plastic key and no one can make the car work even if they find the battery master switch. For the bracket, make it bigger and stick it under the battery to hold it in place, that way you don't have to bond it to the car permanently. If you don't want to lose the radio presets every time you shut the switch off, wire the power from the fuse in the fuseblock to the hot side of the master switch. Add an in-line fuse to the radio. I have seen where some owners drill a hole and let the plastic key protrude through the cover and the carpet so it is easier to turn the switch on and off and remove the key.
    David Teitelbaum

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

I was taking with rob the other day. He has a bunch of brackets to mount a rotary style switch available still. Worth looking into for sure.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    5625

My battery cut off switch

I ended up going a bit of a different route with my battery cut off switch. Since I don't smoke and didn't want to constantly be in my battery compartment I replaced the cigg lighter with a latching power switch that controls a heavy current latching relay/isolator that connects the battery to the car. Now all I have to do to connect my battery is press a switch. Very easy and looks good. Also a very easy way to not drain my battery while at car shows with the doors open.
    Attached Images
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    I ended up going a bit of a different route with my battery cut off switch. Since I don't smoke and didn't want to constantly be in my battery compartment I replaced the cigg lighter with a latching power switch that controls a heavy current latching relay/isolator that connects the battery to the car. Now all I have to do to connect my battery is press a switch. Very easy and looks good. Also a very easy way to not drain my battery while at car shows with the doors open.
    I did the same.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...-Battery-Relay
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Looks like a nice setup. Do you have links or info on the battery cut-off switch and the latching power switch.

Thanks, Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Dave,
    I was looking at your thread. Do you have a model number or link for the latching battery switch you used and is the latching mechanism impervious to road vibration?

Thanks, Ron

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast