FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Best battery cut off switch?

My VIN:    03572

You have a few power brake operations after the engine dies.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    You have a few power brake operations after the engine dies.
    I'm not against the function at all, it's actually very clever and I didn't know latching relays existed before this thread, but it's reminiscent of the Death Star's self-destruct weakness to me. Driver's footwell (think: OBD-II ports, or even hood release) would be far safer. If it's accidentally pressed there while driving, you probably deserve it for putting it so close to your legs. While not driving, it's still convenient enough to access readily.

My VIN:    5983

After seeing this thread last night I really like the power switch idea but would it be possible to hide it beneath one of the dummy switches and that way there's no chance of accidentally knocking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    After seeing this thread last night I really like the power switch idea but would it be possible to hide it beneath one of the dummy switches and that way there's no chance of accidentally knocking it?
    You could put it anywhere. You could use two switches that have to be pressed at the same time if you want "bullet proof".
    Dave M vin 03572

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    I'm not against the function at all, it's actually very clever and I didn't know latching relays existed before this thread, but it's reminiscent of the Death Star's self-destruct weakness to me. Driver's footwell (think: OBD-II ports, or even hood release) would be far safer. If it's accidentally pressed there while driving, you probably deserve it for putting it so close to your legs. While not driving, it's still convenient enough to access readily.
    Mine is connected to the inertia switch which is why I made it kill the engine first. And since the inertia switch kills the battery, there is no need to have it kill the fuel pump ground. So almost no current is in the inertia switch and my fuel pump is hard wired to ground.
    Dave M vin 03572

Max, dummy switch can be a good cover over the button itself. Wondering if someone more savvy can rig up a hinge so it flips up to expose a button beneath it (haven't figured out how to 3D print hinges for high heat yet). Would protect against peering eyes and accidental use.

Mine is connected to the inertia switch which is why I made it kill the engine first. And since the inertia switch kills the battery, there is no need to have it kill the fuel pump ground. So almost no current is in the inertia switch and my fuel pump is hard wired to ground.
    Okay lost me on that one, inertia switch, what? I don't know what that does beyond cause headaches and car lockouts at times if memory serves, how's the circuit laid out with the relay?

Maybe my angle is that having it able to kill the battery with the key in even ACC seems a bit counterintuitive if it's so readily accessed.

My VIN:    5983

Max, dummy switch can be a good cover over the button itself. Wondering if someone more savvy can rig up a hinge so it flips up to expose a button beneath it (haven't figured out how to 3D print hinges for high heat yet). Would protect against peering eyes and accidental use.
    Exactly what I had in mind I'll let you know if I come up with a clever way of doing it.

I saw this similar cut off switch on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkOUh9x8-xI

He's using this solenoid - https://www.amazon.com/Cole-Hersee-2.../dp/B001FQMZQU

I'm thinking about getting the same one, would love to know what you guys think. Does it actually need to be specifically a "latching" solenoid? Is the function the same as yours Dave? (Sorry - I'm totally new to all this)
    Last edited by Max; 12-11-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Okay lost me on that one, inertia switch, what? I don't know what that does beyond cause headaches and car lockouts at times if memory serves, how's the circuit laid out with the relay?

Maybe my angle is that having it able to kill the battery with the key in even ACC seems a bit counterintuitive if it's so readily accessed.
    I made a circuit board with a micro which monitors the inertia switch and the user push button and then drives the latching relay either on or off and also shuts on or off one AUX relay.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you are looking for a sneaky way to start the motor, on a car I used to own, (not a Delorean) I added a momentary contact, push button switch hidden near the E-Brake so you couldn't see it. You had to push it as you turned the key to run the starter motor. If you didn't push it as your turned the key, the starter motor wouldn't work. It just interrupted the starter circuit. A thief would just think there was something wrong with the car never thinking there was a hidden switch. Thieves don't want to spend any more time trying to steal a car then necessary, more time to be caught in the act. Anything you can do to slow them down increases the chances they will leave the car. Or you can hide a magnetic switch and you have to place a magnet in a certain place to activate it. That is even more sneaky since there is nothing to see.
    David Teitelbaum

Starter motor cutoff is probably how I'd angle the "battery cutoff" of anti-theft systems now that you mention it. Speaking of which, I need to figure out where I put that aftermarket smart key system... Perfect tie-in! No smart key, no starter motor. I like that, thanks!

I made a circuit board with a micro which monitors the inertia switch and the user push button and then drives the latching relay either on or off and also shuts on or off one AUX relay.
    Oooohhh, so the inertia switch kills the engine and the Micro connects the dots, okay. That's actually... wow that's kinda genius.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast