FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Cold Start Valve only getting .4 volts

My VIN:    2543

Cold Start Valve only getting .4 volts

Cold start issue. I know it's the CSV not firing. I do the CPR plug-swap trick and the car fires right up so the CSV is good. I put a multimeter on the CSV blue connector and cranked it. I get about .4 volts.

Next I know you should check the thermistor. I know it should make a ground under 95F. I remove the plug and jump it with a paperclip and cranked it and I get the same .4 volts. Can't blame the thermistor since it wasn't even in the equation.

Now I'm needing help because that thermistor plug just disappears into the wiring loom abyss. Anybody know where to look if you jump the thermistor plug and still only get .4 volts? Start Inhibit relay? The wiring diagram is too greek for me to figure out.
    Ben B. | VIN 2543 | 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia

My VIN:    03572

I assume you metered with both meter leads into the two pins of the CSV connector.

You need to know if the 12 volt pin is getting voltage during cranking, or if the ground pin is getting ground. You can test the ground pin with an ohmmeter with a cold engine not cranking but that does not test the connections with a large current.

There are a few connections to the CSV operation in the bulkhead connectors.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There is a simplified wiring schematic in your Workshop Manual D:04:06. The 12 volts comes from the starter motor and ONLY when cranking on the W/R (White/Red) wire. Start there and make sure the W/R wire is on the correct terminal and is getting the full 12 volts. Also make sure the wire is not cut or burnt up. If the starter is working and the W/R wire is hooked up right you should see 12 volts on it at the TT switch when cranking. No need to check the TT switch if you don't have 12 volts to it. Don't confuse the TT switch with the thermistor for the idle control. The TT switch is NOT a thermistor. As you can see from the wiring diagram you can check for the 12 volts at the hot start relay plug too. The hot start relay plug is by the fuseblock up near the firewall. Make sure there is nothing plugged into it.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2543

Thanks for the tips. I did go down to the starter and cleaned up the 12v hot-when-cranking wire and then reseated TT switch and CSV and now it seems to be firing. Thanks guys.
    Ben B. | VIN 2543 | 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia