FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Very early VIN DMC on eBay possibly VIN 531!!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Huh?? Are we looking at the same car? Those pictures certainly look like a black interior to me.

Seats are black and the carpet is grey.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It is also a grey interior and most of the very early cars were black.
    David, are you saying that very early cars with "black interior" came with anything other than grey carpet (like perhaps black)? My early car has dark grey carpet. I understand that on later black interior cars, the shade of the grey carpet was lightened, but I'm not aware of another color for the carpets for black interior cars.

http://support.delorean.com/kb/a10/i...and-parts.aspx
    Last edited by DMC-81; 12-07-2017 at 10:54 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Same as my car but I still consider it a "black interior".

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

So why do people go bonkers over a early vin anyway?

My VIN:    3937

Huh?? Are we looking at the same car? Those pictures certainly look like a black interior to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    David, are you saying that very early cars with "black interior" came with anything other than grey carpet (like perhaps black)? My early car has dark grey carpet. I understand that on later black interior cars, the shade of the grey carpet was lightened, but I'm not aware of another color for the carpets for black interior cars.

http://support.delorean.com/kb/a10/i...and-parts.aspx
    Same as my car but I still consider it a "black interior".
    It is a black interior. And the carpeting was always grey, albeit lighter in later cars. Every other trim piece in the vehicle is black and not gray, including the binnacle, centre console, door trim, etc., etc. My car is the same at VIN 3937.

I would expect that David T. didn't look at more than the first picture or two and made a mistake. And now won't admit that he was wrong. Because he's never admitted he's wrong in the history of the forum. Stubborn? Yes. Humble? Nope.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I may not always be right but I am never wrong. Nobody is always 100% correct. The neat thing about this is there is always someone who sees errors and calls them out. It is up to the reader to figure out what is correct and what isn't. I never claimed to be 100% perfect but it's nice to know there are some who think I did. This car is unusual in that it is a very early car and is an automatic. I don't understand what excites people about the early cars either. IMHO nothing particularly special about them. They do represent a certain period in the production of the Delorean and they have some unique attributes but that's about it. As for value, unless it was owned by someone prominent, it will be worth no more and no less than any other Delorean in similar condition.
    David Teitelbaum

I was expecting a totally different VIN format, huh. Federal law beginning in 1981 mandated a standardized 17-digit format. The SCEDT prefix is a result of the DOT's decision on how to designate it, but even the 1980-made cars had a 10 to 12 digit VIN that didn't even come close to resembling the modern ones. Wonder if being a DOT car meant it got VIN'd for the trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    So why do people go bonkers over a early vin anyway?
    Richer history than a mid-to-late VIN that was made and sent out the door. Example: mine was a parts car before parts cars were cool (seriously, half my crap isn't original and went onto later VIN's). Which also means my car's a hipster and I owe it a punch in the face for that

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

I may not always be right but I am never wrong.
    David, you've stated that before, and what it means that when you are called out for your errors, you try to argue silly details like you meant the gray carpet when you called a black interior car gray. Surely a DeLorean guru who is never wrong knows the fine details in the DMC article on interior colors I linked to above.

I'm sure you realize this statement directly contradicts this one:

Nobody is always 100% correct.
    And this:

I never claimed to be 100% perfect but it's nice to know there are some who think I did.
    People think you claimed to be 100 percent perfect because you did again in the first sentence of your post, and your behavior in arguing details instead of simply admitting your error.

So which statement is accurate?
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post

Richer history than a mid-to-late VIN that was made and sent out the door. Example: mine was a parts car before parts cars were cool (seriously, half my crap isn't original and went onto later VIN's). Which also means my car's a hipster and I owe it a punch in the face for that
    Your car wears a beanie and a long beard.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    Your car wears a beanie and a long beard.
    Not anymore. Already shaved its "Man Bun" off after I caught it vaping. I swear she jumps every time she hears the whir of an electric motor these days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast