FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Very early VIN DMC on eBay possibly VIN 531!!

My VIN:    03500

Well it went for $20'100.

Dave B.

See now I'm trying to figure out the history behind it. I don't know if it was a crash tested car, those were 515 and 517, but 531 is said to be an "Engineering car". The eBay auction calls it an "AC car" and lists most everything as an original part. "Engineering car" means it had a special purpose, I don't know what the "AC" designation means though. From the "It was a factory AC car... obviously requires service" line (or is that guy being an idiot and saying cars with factory air conditioning automatically need service?)

Of interesting note: "Clean Ohio Title" located in Palm Springs, California? VIN is clearly wrong, the ad lists it without the SCEDT prefix, I don't know how "clean" this title really is per se as a result, but small talk.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Guess it was another troll bidder or middle age wimp assclown who neglected to get permission from the wife before making that last second 2 wine cooler induced bid in between bouts of cruising backpage for local massages because the ice queen cut him off.

Anyway back up for sale again.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Guess it was another troll bidder or middle age wimp assclown who neglected to get permission from the wife before making that last second 2 wine cooler induced bid in between bouts of cruising backpage for local massages because the ice queen cut him off.

Anyway back up for sale again.
    That is the second funniest thing I've heard today, behind getting called good looking.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

I think someone called him out on the year, or he got impatient with the $500 required after sale bit (good luck avoiding eBay fees!) Note how it now says 1981 and the VIN is 99999999999999999 and there's an explicit mention of it being a 1979 title. Oh, and who's the oblivious swine at eBay that failed to catch the all-9 VIN?! Can I have their job? I did, after all, make what is probably the world's first and only VIN fabricator for my old insurance job Select a car, generate a VIN. Really guys, that's an easy catch, the check digit's valid, but how do you fail to check beyond that?

New info in ad:
    IN THE "BUYERS GUIDE TO DELOREAN AUTOMOBILIES" THIS CAR IS LISTED AS A "COMPANY CAR" AND WAS USED FOR EMPLOYEE TRAINING AND PASSIVE RESTRAINT TESTING - BUCK PENROSE.
    Passive restraint training AND a guy assigned to it has me curious. Was this guy a seat belt nay-sayer? Did he ride shotgun while the driver brake-checked constantly to prove a point? I honestly don't know, anyone have details?

THERE ARE SOME WHO SUGGEST THAT THIS PARTICULAR DELOREAN, WAS LIKELY NEVER TO HAVE BEEN APPROVED FOR SALE TO THE PUBLIC.
    "Some"? Dude literally all, that's what "contractual obligation" means. They were illegal to sell until DMC went bankrupt. Do you even know anything about your own car?

THEREFORE AS A COLLECTABLE CAR, HAVING THIS PEDIGREE, IT IS AN GREAT INVESTMENT VEHICLE.
    What the hell kind of bullshit logic is this?! "Collectable"? "Pedigree"?! Go home, you're drunk. Maybe if you didn't treat it like the zit on your lower back, only doing something about it when it pops as you're about to lose your virginity at the ripe young age of 73, but even then, "company car" means squat both in terms of value AND collectability. Ask me how I know -- my value stems purely from condition, low miles, and heavy documenting of the restoration.

"Legend" or "Engineering car" is worth serious dough, but again, not that serious. $20k is VERY generous for a non-runner missing a few original valuable parts (grille might not have had a logo at that point!), and that's all this really is. Legend or Engineering, you're pushing $25k on a bad day. There's some history behind it, but if you want some history for a low price, do your legwork, find one that is a QAC car like mine was, spend a few years tracking down "correct" parts and finding mysterious things inside your car, it won't disappoint. I know 559 hasn't!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3