FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Barn find in MA

My VIN:    5510

Barn find in MA

Just ran across this Craigslist add for a "Barn" find car in Massachusetts. I have not personally looked at this car, but it seems to be a decent project car for the price.

Just tossing it out there...

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ct...416136158.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mcv200 View Post
    Just ran across this Craigslist add for a "Barn" find car in Massachusetts. I have not personally looked at this car, but it seems to be a decent project car for the price.

Just tossing it out there...

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ct...416136158.html
    Thank you. Just what I'm looking for and just a few hours from me. I shall check her out!

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

It's VIN tag of 3911 shows that it's a 1981, Not an 82 as the ad says.

00j0j_f3u0smbFH6S_600x450.jpg

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    It's VIN tag of 3911 shows that it's a 1981, Not an 82 as the ad says.

00j0j_f3u0smbFH6S_600x450.jpg

George
    Assuming it needs everything (all "barn finds" that have been sitting for a long time do) it can take $20K worth of just parts, forget about labor. $15K + $20K = $35K. You can buy a nice runner for a lot less than that so $15K is a bit ambitious.
    3911 comes up as an '81 recorded in Turnbridge VT as of 2001 according to the Delorean Chronology. As for what year, the Title should say '81 but who knows? Assuming it is complete (nothing missing) all the glass is good, the Title is clean, the frame isn't rotten, and the S/S panels aren't dented, it can be worth as much as $10K.
    David Teitelbaum

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Assuming it needs everything (all "barn finds" that have been sitting for a long time do) it can take $20K worth of just parts, forget about labor. $15K + $20K = $35K. You can buy a nice runner for a lot less than that so $15K is a bit ambitious.
    3911 comes up as an '81 recorded in Turnbridge VT as of 2001 according to the Delorean Chronology. As for what year, the Title should say '81 but who knows? Assuming it is complete (nothing missing) all the glass is good, the Title is clean, the frame isn't rotten, and the S/S panels aren't dented, it can be worth as much as $10K.
    15k for a decent looking car that runs and we are putting 20k into it? Now who's being a bit ambitious? If that car were closer to me even I would be giving that one some serious thought and I'm not much for getting my hands dirty. I have seen people pay more than for a BHCC parts car(and been happy with their purchase). In today's market, 15k for a car in that condition sounds reasonable to me.

serious inquiries only no trades asking 15k
    I bet 13.5k-14k would easily buy it and a good haggler migh even do better. In short, that looks like a lot of car for less than 15k especially considering other's asking prices:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks...p2045573.m1684

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    15k for a decent looking car that runs and we are putting 20k into it? Now who's being a bit ambitious? If that car were closer to me even I would be giving that one some serious thought and I'm not much for getting my hands dirty. I have seen people pay more than for a BHCC parts car(and been happy with their purchase). In today's market, 15k for a car in that condition sounds reasonable to me.
    I guess that depends on your definition of "runs". The description said he had it running on Ether. I take that to mean the fuel system is not functioning even after cleaning the tank and replacing the pump. The brakes will need to be rebuilt. Tires, struts, battery, door seals, coolant system, etc. Once you get things to work you eventually get to the problem that caused the car to be parked in the first place. Having brought back from the "dead" more than a few cars, the one thing I learned is that it is expensive. Getting more to your point, $15K may sound OK to you and you (or another person) would spend for it. My point is you have to compare it against an actual driver that you can get in and drive enough to check all of it's systems like the steering, brakes, and transmission. For $35K or less, you can buy a nice driver that you can enjoy right away. That "barn find" will take a while before you can enjoy it, never mind all the money. I mention all of this so you can compare a barn find against a driver. There are a lot of reasons not to buy that barn find unless you can get it cheap. Once you drag it home you will discover you must evict all of the critters that took up residence inside and disinfect it before you can begin to repair all of the damage they caused. The actual sale price is the cheap part. Once you get it you are in it for the whole long, expensive ride. Been there, done that. Always buy the best car you can afford. The cheapest car is not the cheapest deal. If you want a project then that's a good reason to buy it. Just be honest with yourself BEFORE you jump in.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Wow, it looks good. I agree with Michael. If the frame and the rest of the car is in as good shape as what's pictured, then $15k is a great deal ( like he said.. in today's market ). Maybe 7-10 years ago $15k would have been ambitious. I wouldn't delay on looking at it if you're interested (and you are looking for a restoration project).

Also, as someone who just completed a high level restoration on a car that needed a thorough restoration, if you need to spend $20K just in parts on a running car, your resto goals are higher than mine. I know because I tracked every receipt on mine in a spreadsheet, by category ...parts, tools & supplies, and labor.

Good luck!
    Last edited by DMC-81; 12-07-2017 at 10:58 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

I took it as it runs fine after the starting fluid (ie, CSV, mixture out of whack) and I took it that the major components like injectors, distributer, etc. were in working order. I actually drove a car just like this that had a cold start problem, but it ran great once it started with a bit of starting fluid. I am also assuming the rest of the car looks as decent as the pictures so yes I'm assuming a lot but for that price point and what I saw thus far, if I were in the market for a fixer upper, this would have my curiosity peaked.

My VIN:    5312

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    gotta agree with michael here, i dont feel 15k is bad at all tbh. Pics seemed decent. I read they started it was like OH SHI_ then read oh we cleaned out the fuel tank, was like whew. Could be good if someone could get eyes on to verify

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast