FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First Post, First adventure working on one, some fuel related issues I need help on.

Today we pulled the fuel manifold/intake top off a d verified plunger was fine. A couple of I interesting finds such as an o-ring laying in the intake. The other thing and I am not sure of its purposes was a nut and washer that goes over the plunger housing with the nut being loose. Tightened it up. A bit concerned with this. Curious if there are any parts break down on this. I was also surprised when pulling the makeshift plug where you adjust the mixture at how much rougher the anti e runs although it is a source of major vacuum leak. Anyways it was fun playing around with the guts of the plunger setup. Probably won't mess with until next weekend. Going to dive into nozzles and valve clearance. By the way, is it possible for the cold start to dump fuel after start or would this not be likely?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Peno67 View Post
    By the way, is it possible for the cold start to dump fuel after start or would this not be likely?
    The purpose of the CSV is exactly that, to give a shot of fuel during cold starts. Substitute for what would've been a choke on a carbureted engine.

Section D:01:09-10 in the Workshop Manual tells about the components of the cold start circuit, including when/how they get turned on and off.

Is that what you meant by "dump fuel after start"?
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Yes that is what I meant and have read and understand it's operation although haventbloomed into it. What I was wondering is is there any chance it could fail in the open position or not likely?

My VIN:    03572

It would be unlikely the CSV could dump fuel after the start. The CSV only gets power from the starter circuit. You can just pull the connector off the CSV (only need it for a cold start) to test the circuit. But I guess a faulty leaking CSV could be dumping some fuel but I have never heard of that happening.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Thanks for clarification. Does anyone k ow where to get a parts breakdown for the fuel distributer? The washer I mentioned on the plunger slide body appears that maybe it is suppose to be a retainer to hold the plunger from falling out. It would never happen I suppose one together. Looking online it also appears this is likely a -109a distributer. Appears it is for a delorean.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Peno67 View Post
    Thanks for clarification. Does anyone k ow where to get a parts breakdown for the fuel distributer? The washer I mentioned on the plunger slide body appears that maybe it is suppose to be a retainer to hold the plunger from falling out. It would never happen I suppose one together. Looking online it also appears this is likely a -109a distributer. Appears it is for a delorean.
    There is no parts breakdown of the fuel distributor, it isn't supposed to be taken apart, only replaced. It is possible, since the wiring was messed with, that the CSV is running all the time. Just unplug it. BTW, what color plug is plugged into it? It is possible the plugs were swapped with the CPR and the CSV is running wild. Take a picture of the hardware and maybe we can identify it and where it goes.
    David Teitelbaum

Major Headway!!! Have one more item I need input on

So today we started by checking compression to make sure no issues were deep. Then pulled fuel injectors. A couple of them had a cruddy spray pattern so we cleaned all of them. Also noted when putting plugs back in that an assumption was that the gap was correct new and this was not so. The were all about .015 gapped to much. We then did a valve adjustment. All exhaust valves were around .010 and intakes were probably in the .005 range. We remedied this. The engine now runs 100% much smoother and we were able to adjust dwell and indeed noticed the O2 sensor was working. We now have an issue in that the idle is running at 1025ish. Have completey ohmed out the idle system. One item of interest is the thermosistor is showing open between pins 9 and 11 at the ECU. We had been running the car which may have opened it although from reading in the book I don't know if it is open cold or hot. I was going to ohm out the wires but can't find where this thing lives. I fear it is under the intake? All other wires and the diode checks out. I am down to a problem with the thermosistor or possibly the idle control valve is bad. Or at least I think. Any input on why the idle is where it is?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Under the manifold in the coolant distribution pipe. D:05:02, Fig 38
    You might want to check the connections and readings at the White 9 pin bulkhead connector first.
    See .PDF file in the Resource Section HERE for more info.

My VIN:    3937

More info and picture of where the thermistor is located here: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...l=1#post222057

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My partner in crime brought the valve to work this morning. We cleaned it and hooked up to a power supply and it is working. He is going to install tonight and see what happens and will also disconnect plug if it doesn't seem to work and see if rpm increases. Confirmed that the temp switch or at least the wiring going to it is a problem although unless this is open in the cold position I wouldn't think this is causing the idle problem. Will report back more this evening.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast