Hello all. First time poster. A friend of mine has a shop and works on cars moonlighting. One of his customers picked up a Delorean at an auction that wanted it gone through as it has been sitting for some time. We pulled all the old fuel out, changed filters, plugs, etc. Long and short this car has been butchered. We do have a manual. I won't go into all the crap that we found like a fuel pump that is obviously not original installed.

What we are experiencing is the car is running very rich at idle, rough idle with an occasional throaty backfire that appears to be coming from the RH side of the engine exhaust (looking from back of engine). We verified each cylinder is firing and set the timing. Attempted to set fuel mixture using dwell meter. It will not move off of a solid 40 although we had the 02 sensor disconnected as I misread the manual I believe. I think this should only be disconnected if one has the tools to set the CO2. Also noted that the part (sorry I don't remember the correct terminology) that has the two vacuum hose going to it that controls vacuum advance has been bypassed mainly I believe because one of the wire terminals is broke off. As the car warms up it seems to get a little better but it is still rough.

One question I have is related to the three brass fittings on the top front of the engine. As I read the two most forward are bank air adjustments. Manual is somewhat misguided in that in one section it states that any adjustment wont have an effect due to electronic control and then another section states not to mess with them. Unfortunately we did. I set down last night and studied the manual in peace to get a better understanding of things. I wanted to confirm the most aft fitting will adjust engine rpm.

I guess what I am looking for is where to start and what to check. Never really messed with a beast like this. It is very obvious it is running rich as it will burn your eye balls out. The first time I played with the mixture screw just forward of the injector manifold, to get it to smooth out I had to crank it in considerably which caused the converter to glow red hot so we backed it out until it killed the engine and then turned it just enough to keep it running. Have been checking posts out on here to help our cause.

Any input is appreciated.