FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fuel smell from behind cabin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    07000

Fuel smell from behind cabin

Hi everyone,
    I've been smelling a faint fuel smell for a while now, but always attributed it to my carb, or sometimes from the tank after a fill up. But recently, as in the other day, it was very strong, coming from behind me. At first I was worried it was the filter leaking - or maybe even from the carb inlet, but checked those and no leaks at all. But it sure is strong where the flexible hose starts to head just past the bulkhead.

Is there a hard line near there that's easy to get to, and most likely (hoping) it's just a bad clamp there - or the hardline has sprung a leak.

Any ideas would be helpful as recently the D is my DD...

Thanks,

Greg

My VIN:    03500

Only an idea pull the ash tray and see if you spell fuel? There is a rubber line in the tunnel. The access panel is held in place by rtv or something of that nature.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    Only an idea pull the ash tray and see if you spell fuel? There is a rubber line in the tunnel. The access panel is held in place by rtv or something of that nature.

Dave B.
    Well that's something I didn't know and is worth a shot. Is that fuel going to the engine or part of the return line?

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Well that's something I didn't know and is worth a shot. Is that fuel going to the engine or part of the return line?
    Those lines go to the fuel accumulator which keeps the fuel lines pressurized when the car is off. You can also crawl under the car and look up in the hole in the middle of the frame to inspect the hoses. If they are original, they need to be replaced!

In the far right side you can see some aftermarket red hoses in this image. That is where you want to inspect.

Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Good to know where that is. I don’t think the original owner kept the accumulator as the setup that I know is from the tank (no pump) to an external pump, then all the way back to an in-line filter and the carb. But knowing where the hoses are will help. DMC Ca was supposed to replace all the fuel lines (paid for it) about 3 years ago, but I found a few things that just didn’t jive with what they said they did and what they charged me for.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Is the vapor canister hooked up to the motor? If not, how are you dealing with the fumes from the fuel tank? They have to go somewhere and if you are just dumping overboard, then maybe that is what you smell.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Is the vapor canister hooked up to the motor? If not, how are you dealing with the fumes from the fuel tank? They have to go somewhere and if you are just dumping overboard, then maybe that is what you smell.
    No - it just goes from the tank to the pump, and I can see where the hard line does come out from the driver side splash guard (or dust guard) to the rubber fuel line, to the inline filter (which I replaced about a year ago), and into the carb.

However I did notice today that the smell is really coming strong from the filter (metal filter).

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I wasn't asking about the fuel lines, I asked about the vapor line coming from under the fuel cap to the engine bay and into the vapor canister hidden in the left/rear pontoon. If you don't have it hooked up to the motor then the fumes will just come out in the engine compartment or the left/rear pontoon. Of course any fuel leak will allow fumes to develop so you must check all of the connections for leaks too.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I wasn't asking about the fuel lines, I asked about the vapor line coming from under the fuel cap to the engine bay and into the vapor canister hidden in the left/rear pontoon. If you don't have it hooked up to the motor then the fumes will just come out in the engine compartment or the left/rear pontoon. Of course any fuel leak will allow fumes to develop so you must check all of the connections for leaks too.
    Oh. I haven’t checked into that. So the line goes into the rear left pontoon- then from there somehow to the engine. I wonder what Nick and others who have done an engine swap have done to connect that hose to the engine, and if so, where? Can you post a pic of where I should be looking for the hoses to and from the vapor canister? And is the canister accessible at all?

I get it. I think there’s a vacuum port on the back (front?) side of the carb (Edelbrock 1406) that’s currently plugged by the factory with a screw in plug. Most Likely that’s what that’s for, as the one facing on the side toward the back of the car is hooked up to the engine manifold.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast