FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fuel smell from behind cabin

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    There is a panel on the side of the left pontoon held on with 4 small bolts and the hoses go through it from the motor to the canister. The canister is mounted on the other side of the panel by 2 small bolts in the middle of the panel. One hose is from the canister to the fuel tank, one hose is a vacuum signal from the motor and the 3rd hose is a vapor hose to the crankcase ventilation to purge the canister and burn up the vapors when the motor is running. Refer to D:06:01-:03 for a more complete explanation.
    I had a feeling that's where that would be. My car doesn't have the panel (don't even know where to get one), or hoses going in or out, nor a canister. And if it did, I don't know exactly where I'd run that into the engine block on a 350sbc.

As mentioned earlier, I wonder what the other engine swappers have done about this. I do see there is a hardline that comes up behind the driver side next to where the fuel line is - it basically is bending pointing upwards (is that normal?) and I'm going to guess it's the line from the fuel filler cap area.

My VIN:    10270

Almost any older-style (non electrical solenoid controlled) charcoal canister should work. No reason to find a DeLorean specific canister. You don't need the original mounting panel either as there is plenty of room in the pontoon to mount the canister.

Attached are a few photos of my non-stock setup. I removed the canister from the panel and mounted it to the back of the pontoon using the existing body bolts. An aluminum panel replaces the original panel with holes cut for the canister lines, cruise control, and a mounting point for my air intake (not shown in this pic).

How you connect will depend on your intake / carb setup but you almost certainly have a ported vacuum source to open the purge valve when off-idle. The other vacuum line is then routed to manifold vacuum.

Canister-1.jpg

canister-2.jpg
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

I get it. I think there’s a vacuum port on the back (front?) side of the carb (Edelbrock 1406) that’s currently plugged by the factory with a screw in plug. Most Likely that’s what that’s for, as the one facing on the side toward the back of the car is hooked up to the engine manifold.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

That bent up line is where the fumes from the gas tank are coming out. You could just extend that line with a hose and get it farther towards the rear of the car so the fumes don't come into the passenger compartment. Or you could do as suggested and install a generic vapor canister and hook it up to the motor.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    That bent up line is where the fumes from the gas tank are coming out. You could just extend that line with a hose and get it farther towards the rear of the car so the fumes don't come into the passenger compartment. Or you could do as suggested and install a generic vapor canister and hook it up to the motor.
    Thanks David. Both good ideas. I’m thinking of doing the canister, and teeing off of the timed vacuum inlet on my carb, as that’s the same one being used for the advance on my HEI distributor.

That should do it! Then tee the actual purge line into your existing PCV hose. Should look something like this:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...MWYuZ2lm/?ref=

Edit: Posted original photobucket link because forum software is still misconfigured and wrecks GIF/PNG images.
    Attached Images
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    That should do it! Then tee the actual purge line into your existing PCV hose. Should look something like this:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/...MWYuZ2lm/?ref=

Edit: Posted original photobucket link because forum software is still misconfigured and wrecks GIF/PNG images.
    Wondering what or where the carburetor fuel bowl vent connection is connected to..

Some carbs have a port to capture evaporated fuel vapors from the bowl. If yours doesn’t, that fitting on the vapor canister gets capped. On the OEM DeLorean canister that fitting is capped from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Some carbs have a port to capture evaporated fuel vapors from the bowl. If yours doesn’t, that fitting on the vapor canister gets capped. On the OEM DeLorean canister that fitting is capped from the factory.
    Good to know. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2