FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Head gasket howto/advice

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I'm trying to follow the workshop manual and slightly confused.

Assuming I am planning on removing the timing cover and both heads, what order should I do things in?

Starting on the passenger side, the workshop manual says to rotate it until the drive pin is at the top, then remove the 10mm bolt.

When I try to remove the bolt, it doesn't move. Instead, it's like everything just wants to turn backwards. I don't have the J28858 tool.

Right now, the crankshaft pulley is on and hand tightened. I know that when I remove it, the woodruff key has to be at the top. At what point do I remove the pulley and cover?

Should I remove both 10mm bolts before removing the timing cover, then align the woodruff key and remove the pulley? How do I remove the woodruff key?

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

When I did my heads, I never touched the woodruff key whatsoever. I removed the crank pulley, then the timing cover. Then I put the crank nut on to rotate as needed.

I do recommend putting some rags in the exposed oil pan, on the off change the woodruff key falls out, or you drop a bolt/nut, whatever.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Agreed with Mike.

To remove the 10mm allen headed cam gear bolt, you need a long ratchet/breaker bar and stick a sturdy screwdriver or thin prybar through a hole in the cam gear and brace it from turning left against the head casting.

Don't worry about keeping the cam/crank perfectly aligned at that point, the cam gear has a sturdy keyway, it won't slip timing as soon as you loosen those bolts in the cam.

Id recommend removing the chain tensioner after you have made the final alignment check and marked your gears with a paint pen. With a loose chain you can pull off the cam gear.

Not a DeLorean Guru

Another thing I did when I re-installed my heads with new cams to make life easier on myself when timing the gears:

I backed the adjusters for the rocker arms ALL the way out. The purpose of this was so that even with the cams turning and actuating the rockers, the rockers would not open the valves. That way I would turn the cams/gears/crank as much as I wanted to, without fear of valve to piston contact.
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I'm installing a remanufactured set of heads from Josh - so I assume that the timing is going to have to all be redone anyway, correct?

Not a DeLorean Guru

Yes, you're removing the cams/cam gears/chains.
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Those allen head bolts on the end of the cams can be a challenge. We've broke cheap (KD) allen bits trying to get them loose. They are crazy tight until they snap loose, then you can spin them out with your fingers.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2