FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

View Poll Results: Have YOU ever gotten a flat and successfully used the spared tire?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, and I've driven the car LESS than 5,000 miles

5 17.86%
  • No, and I've driven the car 5,000-10,000 miles

6 21.43%
  • No, and I've driven the car 10,001-20,000 miles

6 21.43%
  • No, and I've driven the car 20,001-30,000 miles

2 7.14%
  • No, and I've driven the car MORE than 30,000 miles

7 25.00%
  • Yes, ONE time

2 7.14%
  • Yes, more than once

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Have YOU ever gotten a flat and successfully used the spared tire?

My VIN:    10907

Not sure I'm parsing the options correctly - if you've never gotten a flat at all do you pick one of the "no" answers or are they intended as "I got a flat but did not successfully use the spare"?

13,000-ish miles in a year and a few months, haven't gotten a flat yet (tires were new when I bought it).

My VIN:    10515

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Smile

Basically, I'm thinking about taking the spare tire OUT of the car and just leaving it in the garage.

So, I was curious how often people successfully used the spare tire (which I assume no one would use without getting a flat - haha)

Given that *I* live in SoCal and have only drive to Vegas and the Bay Area, if I get a flat, I can easily call AAA and get to a tire shop to replace the tire - without using the spare... so I don't think I need to keep it in the car - AND it gives me a little more space to carry junk.

Thanks all who replied!

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

If you feel confident and comfortable with just calling AAA for them to tow you home, then sure go ahead and take your spare out I'd say. However I hate waiting on the side of the road for what seems like 3 hours so they could bring me a thimble full of gasoline or jump start my car. I rebuilt the engine in my car myself I think I rather change the tire by myself too. That's why I keep it on, especially if I go on long distance trips.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

jus' a thought

I think a thread telling of roadside breakdowns
    and how you solved the problems would be good reading.
    I could start with about a dozen in my 156,000 miles
    of travels......

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    I think a thread telling of roadside breakdowns
    and how you solved the problems would be good reading.
    I could start with about a dozen in my 156,000 miles
    of travels......
    Go for it! I think that'd be a fun thread to read too and would have a couple of my own stories to share as well.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

clueless

Even though I have over 700 replies I've never started a
    thread. If someone starts one I can jump on...

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I can't really vote because yes, I've gotten a flat but I didn't use the spare. About 15 years ago when I was in college, I parked the D and heard the hiss sound of doom from the front driver tire. Of course after class was over, I came to a car that was down on the rim. I removed the wheel and had someone take it to get plugged at a shop that was right down the road - back then I didn't carry a plug kit.

I would have been unable to use the spare as it has NEVER held air for any length of time. I still carry it around in the compartment but it is useless until I can get the tire replaced.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Back in 2001 when I bought my 83' Delorean It still had the original Goodyear tires on it. So I replaced them with new tires. Within a week of having the new tires I cut a corner too close and clipped the curb.... Tore the sidewall out LOL ... Went to put the spare on the car.... it was flat... Never crossed my mind to check the air pressure in the spare. ( I check it regularly now) After getting air in the spare I installed it on the rear of the car and drove it home. Ordered a new tire from tire rack, A few days later the spare was back in the trunk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2