FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: My Stewardship of 10439

My VIN:    15874

Just in case you have ideas of hitting the track... don't forget that those Cooper Cobras are rated to 118 mph.

My VIN:    Between VINs

I'm running Falkens so I don't think that's a limiting factor. The true issue more than anything else is the really soft brakes, not sure what my plan is in that regard. It's not necessarily a design defect, it was just never meant for track use.

The other issue is that I'm 6'4" and can't fit in the car with my helmet on. I *might* fit if I remove the kneepad and slouch, but then we start to have to consider safety concerns.

Anyone know a Delorean friendly mechanic within 200 miles of Beaufort, NC? Going to try some stuff on my own but need a backup plan. I have a fantastic German car mechanic in New Bern but I am not sure that's going to be super helpful right now.

Any good recomendations appreciated.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I know a pretty good "shade-tree mechanic" in Laurinburg...
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Durham NC. Sheriff Bob 919-477-7516. He also has a lot of used parts.
    David Teitelbaum

Both of my mechanics here at the coast said no. Called Bob but no answer. Will give him a call back in the afternoon.

The car acts up for the first time ever while I am hundreds of miles away from my tools, parts, and Josh. Go figure.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Get ahold of me when you have a chance. I can most likely walk you through it and or remote diag the concerns.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

An update, the car is back to running great.

Josh, it is the same issue I had that day I left your shop. (Not something you were working on, completely unrelated issue). Some connection in the engine bay gets wet with rain and kills the car. Last time it stopped the car on the interstate. This time it was a no start after sitting outside over night.

I opened the engine cover and let the noontime sun hit it for an hour and it fired right up.

Will have to chase it down when I get home. Crossing fingers for the rest of vacation.

I still haven't actually chased down that issue, but the symptom has changed somewhat (or I am just observing it under a different condition).

I drove about 30 miles to a friends house for a lunch. While we were dining it began to rain. Went outside and the car started. Once I got moving down the road it had very low power under 3,000rpm. As soon as the revs would hit 3k it would spin up with full power. Drove it all the way home that way. About two weeks later I fire it up in the garage on a sunny day and it has no problem.

So:
    In a heavy downpour on the interstate the car shut down. Was towed about 10 miles and when I got there, and out of the rain, it fired up and I drove it home.
    When sitting wet after a downpour it wouldn't start until I opened the engine bay and let the sun dry it out. (Incident referenced above, in NC).
    When it's humid the car starts and stalls a few times, then seems to run okay after a while once the normal idle-hunting settles down.
    Drove it home after it sat in a summer rain storm and had very little power under 3k rpm. (Incident mentioned earlier in this post)

These issues all seem connected to me in that something is off at low idle when the atmospherics are wet/humid. It drives great otherwise.

Was thinking it was electrical but now I'm not so sure. The only thing I've done so far is visually check for vacuum leaks after the last incident; I had a BMW that did something similar when I forgot to connect a vacuum line.

I don't know that I'll get it fixed before I put it away for winter but I thought I'd throw the symptoms out there if anyone has an 'ah ha!' moment while reading it over.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Have you checked the inside of the distributor cap for condensation?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast