FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: My Stewardship of 10439

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I keep a plastic bag and a bungee cord so I can put the flat on the engine cover and bungee the louvre over it. Never had to do it but a plastic bag and bungee cord don't take up much space. Turn the spare tire upside down and put stuff inside. I also keep a can of fix-a-flat in there.
    +1 on having a can of fix-a-flat, and turning the spare upside down to store it and more stuff.

For carrying the rear tire after a flat, I knew about on top of the engine cover, but I hadn't thought of using a plastic bag and bungee cords. But it sounds like a good idea that I'm gonna adopt.

T.
    Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

My VIN:    Between VINs

The car is great and is as advertised, no regrets with the purchase.

Does have some quirks that need to be sorted, but nothing major. It made it from Atlanta to Knoxville just fine, including a trip on The Tail of the Dragon in the dark. Fun stuff.

Very happy with the purchase.

Might try to post a few snapshots in a minute, have to switch devices.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    The car is great and is as advertised, no regrets with the purchase.

Does have some quirks that need to be sorted, but nothing major. It made it from Atlanta to Knoxville just fine, including a trip on The Tail of the Dragon in the dark. Fun stuff.

Very happy with the purchase.

Might try to post a few snapshots in a minute, have to switch devices.
    Create a list of the "squawks" and actually write them down. You can then sort them into order of priority and if necessary order parts. In your first order you should get an oil filter, blending pads, and any bulbs like the ones in the hazard or headlight switches. Good to hear you made it without a major problem or running into any weather. Now you can have fun all winter cleaning the car up.
    David Teitelbaum

I still have to drive from Knoxville to Pittsburgh tomorrow.

Off the top of my head:

170mph speedo just lethargically lags between 30-50mph when my GPS has me moving between 60 and 80. I don't like that speedo anyway, and the car came with the stock 85mph, so I hope putting the original back in will kill two birds with one stone.
    Temp gauge never seems to wander too far from that unmaked notch near "150" or whatever. This is either really awesome or really bad, I'm guessing.
    Car pulls to the right at all times, a complaint that two owners ago mentioned in 2012. Not great.
    Car has vibration felt in the steering wheel. Best guess is a bad bushing up front. Tires are new Falkens that are properly inflated. I am guessing they are not OEM size though since it's a name brand and all the tread matches. I say that because I thought maybe it was wonky tires but they look great, need to check build date.
    Dome light inoperable.
    Headlight button functional but worn, cosmetically displeasing.
    Driver door needs assistance to open fully, can almost get there but needs a slight nudge. Will probably replace the gas struts as a pair.
    BTTF sticker and DOA stickers need to go.
    Air Conditioning makes a weird cyclic whine every 8 seconds or so in some modes. Silence for 6 seconds then a 2 second whine, repeats until I turn it to another mode. Blows cold.
    Shifter could be tighter, wish it were "notchier."
    Power for the aftermarket stereo runs too close to some wiring somewhere so when I accelerate I get feedback whine. Liveable but annoying that it wasn't installed correctly.

Brakes are from the 80s, steering too.

Heater works great.
    Headlights are fantastic.

PO gave me a case of oil filters, they're black. Probably came from DMCMW but not sure.

This is not a direct request for solutions, just making a list while it's fresh in my mind. Always happy to hear thoughts, too.
    Last edited by dodint; 12-30-2017 at 10:59 PM.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Take lots of pictures, you will want to look back many years from now.

PS, I am not more than a few miles off I-81N exit 57 (Kingsport/Johnson City Exit) so if you have any issues around that part of the trip I will PM you my phnoe number just in case.

My VIN:    10907

Glad your trip is free of massive hassles so far!

Re : the temp gauge, since it had a Stage II conversion done relatively recently, they probably had the engine far enough apart to make sure there wasn't a lot of crud and sediment gumming up the works. Mine hovers right around that numberless white line, too (I had an overhaul done last winter at CA). The only time mine creeps up is if I'm idling or going slow for a long time. Keep an eye on it just in case, but it's probably all good.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The "pulling to the right" is probably the most serious problem and an alignment should fix that. All of the other things can be fixed "in due course". Could also be a sticking caliper on the right side (or a bad brake hose).
    David Teitelbaum

Home safe, no major glitches. Very tired, will post some pics and stuff tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

FB_IMG_1514766292604.jpg

My VIN:    10907

Woohoo! Congrats on your first successful road trip! Sounds like you got a pretty good one.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Congrats! You may sleep now and when you wake up you will think it was all a dream (for about 1 second), then you realize your dream came true...

And you will truly be "living the dream".
    Last edited by Michael; 12-31-2017 at 11:48 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast