FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Genius VW commercial with a nod to our favorite

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Genius VW commercial with a nod to our favorite

The first good advert I have seen in a long time.

Last edited by Michael; 12-27-2017 at 12:33 AM.

My VIN:    5482

Cute commercial. Do kids still dream about cars though? I figured they dreamed of new iPhones and social media posts. Maybe they do at this age for just a little bit.
    Jeff

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    Cute commercial. Do kids still dream about cars though? I figured they dreamed of new iPhones and social media posts. Maybe they do at this age for just a little bit.
    I know my kids do, but then we raised them right

One time though, as I came to a stoplight, not in my DeLorean but on my Honda Rune (the hotrod of motorcycles), I was next to a pre-school play yard, and as I sat there, I noticed one boy just stopped, looking at the bike. Pretty soon, about 10 kids were gathered. I waved to them and gave it rev (which sounds like a Corvette or even Porsche 944), and they all got a big smile and thrill out of that.

So, there are some who do appreciate the beauty of nice vehicles.

My VIN:    6125

Great commercial. Volkswagen appears to be revisiting their old negative marketing tactics like the "Lemon" magazine advertisements.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Very cool advertisement. The awestruck boy at the end reminds me of myself.

Although it puts a seemingly negative slant on the Volkswagen brand, the advertisement gave homage to other brands in the Volkswagen group; Porsche, Lamborghini, and Bugatti.

I first owned several Volkswagens, including 2 of the Scirocco (strategically placed behind the boy at the end and beside the hot pink truck), before moving on. I got exposed to the Volkswagens by drooling over the Porsches in the same Volkswagen / Audi / Porsche dealership.

Brilliant ad.

Last edited by DMC-81; 12-27-2017 at 02:26 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Very cool advertisement. The awestruck boy at the end reminds me of myself.

Although it puts a seemingly negative slant on the Volkswagen brand, the advertisement gave homage to other brands in the Volkswagen group; Porsche, Lamborghini, and Bugatti.

I first owned several Volkswagens, including 2 of the Scirocco (strategically placed behind the boy at the end and beside the hot pink truck), before moving on. I got exposed to the Volkswagens by drooling over the Porsches in the same Volkswagen / Audi / Porsche dealership.

Brilliant ad.

I agree completely. Loved this ad. Thanks for posting, Michael.

My Aunt had a Scirocco back in the day and I always thought it was the coolest thing ever. I grew up in a GM family and it was unlike anything we had in our driveway.

I sure hope kids still get inspired by stuff like this. Not the consumerism part, but the passion to want to grow-up and be or do something. Automotive engineer, painter, fireman, doctor, etc. That early inspiration can last a lifetime for many. Reminded me a little of this Porsche commercial.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?32...ll=1#post45390

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Well most of the cars featured are owned by VW now. Maybe we can convince Stephen to sell DMC to VW...I would love to see our cars pass emissions with flying colors.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I agree completely. Loved this ad. Thanks for posting, Michael.

My Aunt had a Scirocco back in the day and I always thought it was the coolest thing ever. I grew up in a GM family and it was unlike anything we had in our driveway.
    Cool. Here's my second one. A 1987 16V, sporting the bra and driving lights that we're all the rage at the time. Man I loved that car. It's probably why I love the similar wedge profile of the DeLorean. It wasn't until sometime after I got the DeLorean that i figured out that it was a probable progenitor of the styling of the Gen 2 Scirocco, sine the Gen 1 was designed by Guigiaro.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Well most of the cars featured are owned by VW now. Maybe we can convince Stephen to sell DMC to VW...I would love to see our cars pass emissions with flying colors.
    Yeah, I'm sure the costs of the VW emissions scandal are still being counted.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 12-27-2017 at 07:15 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Cool add, for sure.

And I believe there will always be boys and girls that dream of cars while they are still too young to own one. And for most, that dream will come true, just as it did for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Maybe we can convince Stephen to sell DMC to VW...I would love to see our cars pass emissions with flying colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure the costs of the VW emissions scandal are still being counted.
    Not a half-bad idea. Just don't use a VW diesel for the engine in the new build cars.

Last edited by Citizen; 12-27-2017 at 07:32 PM.
    Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

VW is used to breaking the rules in advertising. It is an unwritten rule never to actually show a competetor's car in your ad. VW is good at poking fun at themselves in a positive way. Back in the 60's they were the counter-culture choice and exploited that.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast