FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Side Mirror Assembly/mirror glass replacement

I'm actually quite surprised your result came out that good! My filament dry box just isn't cooperating with me, I cracked some plastic on the outer side and now I need to grab some more bins and drill a bunch of new holes again. Ugh... damn 60% humidity house...

Have you thought about printing them sideways, with the spring on the side? Looks like the break was layer separation, if the spring is on the X or Y axis rather than the Z axis, I would imagine the spring would still be quite strong. This would naturally need a little bit of support material, but that's probably 1% of the print job's plastic.

My thing is I don't have a mirror removed, so I have nothing to test it on without driving to DPI (hour one-way now) to test-fit, and he's not exactly returning my calls already (I pushed a few boundaries that I've regretted for the past two months...). Unless one of you guys is actually moderately local to Cleveland, OH?

My VIN:    3771

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    I'm actually quite surprised your result came out that good!
    I'm also surprised by the high quality of the parts. Layer size was 0.09 mm. Not sure what printer they use - unless you can recognize from this photo:

https://8.allegroimg.com/original/01...b2b2f5bc3d6848

Have you thought about printing them sideways, with the spring on the side? Looks like the break was layer separation, if the spring is on the X or Y axis rather than the Z axis, I would imagine the spring would still be quite strong. This would naturally need a little bit of support material, but that's probably 1% of the print job's plastic.
    Yes - you're 100% right here. This is because I've been thinking of a 3D printed part as of a solid while it is more like a stack of thin plastic layers fused together. (: It should definitely be lying on the long side when printing. And it would be perfect to apply layers exactly along the curvature of the spring shape (not sure if it's possible to program the printer like this).

Zortrax M200?
    http://www.unishape.gr/en/?page_id=16723

There's a Maker's Muse review on it somewhere, I can't be arsed to find it as there's way better printers out there now for both ability and price point. There's also currently a frenzy of attention about GPL violations for printers running Marlin variants and hoarding the code (which is patently illegal) that will cause an "abandon ship" effect to drive the market into one where formerly awesome printers are nosediving in price that are "bought but unused." (NOS technically?) and the sellers do not want to associate with the products.

One rogue Linux dev is all it takes to start an upheaval of open source license abuses that have been taking place for decades with no one caring until suddenly now I suppose...

Anyhow I'm always keeping my eye on the market for the "latest and greatest", so I am quite happy to offer buyer's insight or be able to spot things a newcomer to the hobby might not know about. I've already helped a few on here get started. I am always one PM / email away!

EDIT: Part rotation, every slicer I know of can handle this with incredible ease, or you can rotate the part before sending the STL, but it sounded like you worked with somebody on this? I would ask them to orient it correctly if you make more, they should be able to provide you a screenshot to confirm.
    Last edited by Shep; 04-08-2018 at 05:20 PM.

There's also currently a frenzy of attention about GPL violations for printers running Marlin variants...
    Had no idea they use GPL licensed software in commercial products - this sounds ridiculous.

Part rotation, every slicer I know of can handle this with incredible ease...
    No problem at all to change orientation of the part before exporting to STL. I had something else on my mind - I was wondering if it's possible to print the layers like this...:

02.jpg

...instead of this:

01.jpg

The first way shown should further improve mechanical properties of the spring feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhye View Post
    Had no idea they use GPL licensed software in commercial products - this sounds ridiculous.
    Why? It's actually incredibly common and I've seen it damn near everywhere. Open source is open source, it's when you make changes to the open source and refuse to feed that back into the pool that you run into license violations. Creality is currently taking the biggest hit, having aggressively marketed their products as superior in every way but refusing to abide by the very rules everyone else has to follow that led them to get there in the first place.

Open up the owner's manual to a car stereo sometime. You'll see about 20 things listed with a license to the GPL I've been a code monkey professionally for 6+ years, GPL is everywhere in the software world. Easy to see why when you have a robust solution that's been thoroughly tested to meet the highest standards and you can simply use that rather than build your own solution that interfaces with it. Creality heavily changed the fundamentals of the Marlin firmware in a way that added features that have huge implications, and their own aggressive marketing tactics is coming back to bite them in the ass. Creality might be based in China, but they are not immune from the GPL, and they are certainly not immune from the community's reaction to the news either.

Hell ANET could use a break by now after their A8 burned half a house down in the third A8 fire... Too bad you can't sue China.

EDIT:
    Oh and by the way, I stick with BSD for my open source stuff. That license is as bare-bones open source as you can get. Summary: "if you use it, you can't sue me, k?" Personal and commercial use and remix and everything else is fair game. I'm an "ideas man", the backlog is so huge that by the time I would be able to learn all what I need to in order to pull off the ideas I have right now, I'll have 70 years of ideas that will go unhashed. I seriously need to start a YouTube channel at some point to start sharing these ideas, I have such a giant backlog it's nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhye View Post
    No problem at all to change orientation of the part before exporting to STL. I had something else on my mind - I was wondering if it's possible to print the layers like this...:

[pic]

...instead of this:

[pic]

The first way shown should further improve mechanical properties of the spring feature.
    If that's a top-down view (bird's eye), that's the default way it will print. I'm having trouble converting to STL at the moment, if you can attach an STL, I can fire up Slic3r and show you what I mean. There's this neat feature in Slic3r where you can see the tool path and it will more than happily explain what's going on in one screenshot
    Last edited by Shep; 04-09-2018 at 04:47 PM.

Figured it out, FreeCAD wasn't associated with STP for some reason, but exported STL just fine. Here's how Slic3r automatically interprets the slicing for the peg sideways. This is the last layer that prints with the spring section, and visually shows the toolpaths of the extruder as it moves along the model. Yellow lines are "shells" (outside lines), red is "infill" (inside lines), green is support structure for the rounded head. This is totally adjustable and this particular setting is one I would not use for the pegs myself, but it was a preset I had that did well at visualizing how it would print.

Hope this answers your question!

Also, an update on earlier comments:

Creality is currently taking the biggest hit
    And is now seen as a champion of the GPL for their response to it. They not only provided the full unedited source code as used on their machines, but sent one of their printers to the main guy behind Marlin firmware (!!!), the exact project whose GPL license they had violated. And icing on the cake: they are working to even further work with the 3D printing community to make things right. Nobody there speaks English and there is a language barrier at play currently but that is absolutely astonishing to see that kind of response.

There's a small (unsubstantiated currently) rumor that Creality built the printer and worked with a different company to make the software, and Creality was completely unaware that any legal issues were happening at all, but in any scenario it's been quite remarkable.

Anyhow, thank you 3D Printing Nerd for the update on that one. The implications are even more massive now that the response was "here you go, crap, what else can we do?" vs. stonewalling or "just" an apology (not that an apology isn't enough -- this is way more though).

I am still curious on who these "other offenders" have been, but if I'm right, none of them even matter with the way Creality has been innovating. Hopefully this is the beginning of a partnership!

Hope this answers your question!
    That's perfect - no more questions. (:

They not only provided the full unedited source code as used on their machines...
    So an (almost) open source 3D printer (: - this sound's much better.

Glad the visual helped The two gaps at each end of the spring are the part that makes me say I would not use that preset generally speaking. Ideally it fills in that area, and one of my presets did quite well, but it was a smaller width and was harder to see. I think the preset here is 0.2 mm width while the 0.1 mm did quite well. I might even say 0.15 mm could be better, I haven't set that preset up yet but probably should for future prints.

Creality still has several closed-source parts but they are hardware. Open source 3D printing isn't always the best 3D printing from what I've found, frankly it seems to only work for Prusa machines. V1 Engineering I am interested in now too with their work on an electrical conduit-based CNC machine that looks fantastic and supposedly can handle aluminum (I intend to build one and we will see).

My ReliaBuild 3D isn't open source hardware, but it is extremely robust and sturdy and I have had nothing but amazing success with it and support extending years after warranty died off. M3D takes a very similar approach, I am backing their ProMega and might grab a Crane too, but this turn of events has me even closer to buying a Creality machine. I am looking for a quad machine at the moment and there are a few options, but upgrading my Prusa might be the best bet.

My VIN:    3349

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

I just installed the peg Marcin sent me and they work perfect. I am trying to upload a video of the mirror moving but it won't let me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3