FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Side Mirror Assembly/mirror glass replacement

My VIN:    3349

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Side Mirror Assembly/mirror glass replacement

image.jpgHappy New Years everyone.

Over the holiday I was replacing the glass on my side mirrors. I removed the old glass and then removed the part which holds the mirror glass. I was surprised to find I was missing one of the little reddish/orange pieces which either pushes the mirror up and down, and/or left and right. I called DMC Houston and they told me the reddish/orange part does not exist and I need to replace my entire mirror assembly. So my question is, rather then replace the entire assembly does any know where I can find the reddish/orange part which lives behind the mirror glass?

image.jpg
    Last edited by Maritime-elf; 12-29-2017 at 10:26 PM.

My VIN:    6472

I just replaced my side mirrors today. It looks like there's three slots for those orange pieces. On mine I had only two of them on each side (driver and passenger), the top one was missing. My guess is these are just there for better alignment (or maybe the originally planned heated mirror functionality?). The center part with the screw is what drives the movement of the mirror glass.

20171230_133925.jpg20171230_133932.jpg

My VIN:    3349

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Hmm so even if I only have one of the red things I could put it back on. To be honest I never noticed any reduction of functionality but I figured if the drivers side had them the passenger side should too.

I also had a missing red thing, the question is - why ?!?

If I remember correctly (>10 years ago) the mirror was less vibrating with two of these things.

How could it get lost ?
    Was it ever installed ?

My VIN:    10515

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Who knows how to do 3D printing? I bet those red/orange "studs" could be 3D printed pretty well.

My VIN:    10515

Club(s):   (PNDC)

How did you remove the mirror?

Do you just "pull" it?

Do you need to get the red/orange 'studs' to pop out of their holders?

My VIN:    6472

Quote Originally Posted by dtavres View Post
    How did you remove the mirror?

Do you just "pull" it?

Do you need to get the red/orange 'studs' to pop out of their holders?
    A heat gun and a plaster spatula to remove the mirror glass. Then undo that center screw to remove the back plate. The orange pieces easily pop in and out of the back plate, and they just slide into the slots on the mirror mechanism.

My VIN:    3937

A couple threads about mirrors lately got me thinking about my own mirrors. My driver's side suffers from this looseness/missing orange ball-itis as well.

I got looking on the Houston page to see what the damage would be on a complete replacement for the driver's side mirror and found they are $205.08.

Here: http://store.delorean.com/p-7055-rea...mirror-rh.aspx

No comment on whether that price is a good one or not, because what got me perplexed is how it seems like they chose RH to be the driver's side mirror and the LH to be the passenger side. Am I seeing that correctly?

Just about everything else in the car you think of in terms of RH and LH sides when you are sitting in the driver's seat facing forward. Left front fender for example, RH taillights, LH parking brake cable, etc. But not the exterior mirrors. It's apparently backwards with those. Is that some sort of clever trick of how you need to sit facing forward and LOOK IN THE MIRROR and THEN they become the correct RH and LH sides?????? lol

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

FWIW, when I replaced my mirror glass there were only two red/orange parts on each mirror. I didn't remove the black plastic plate so you can just see a bit of the ball in the socket behind the plate through the slots. Like so:

Left:

Right:

I didn't even realize what those parts were, but after seeing them fully above, I agree they likely serve as two pivot points to facilitate/stabilize the movement of the glass.... the bottom one for the vertical movement and the side one for horizontal movement. If there is a top one, it looks like it is not visible from this view as there is not a slot for it like the other two.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 01-04-2018 at 04:00 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by dtavres View Post
    Who knows how to do 3D printing? I bet those red/orange "studs" could be 3D printed pretty well.
    I mean, I literally started a company over far more complicated 3D designs than these studs:

20180107_151833.jpg

Reflectors are still considered the "holy grail" of 3D printing however and that plus the archaic DOT laws now relegate me to working within the OEM/1983 DOT confines. Not that I haven't spent countless man hours and prototypes trying to make it work however, but even teamwork from a fellow 3D printing guy with an optical engineering degree and an SLS machine hasn't been able to pull it off. Ultimately it's just the technology at play sadly, 3D printing is too rough for photons of light. Anyways, rambling side banter aside, on to the current design.

I'll reverse engineer this guy with OpenSCAD and Thingiverse this guy if someone can send me a peg, metal clip included. And heck, I'll print a bunch off too. Printing cost in raw materials and time and even electricity is at most 25 cents each, we're at the point where postage is far more expensive than the part itself, I don't mind. My printer's VERY capable of precise, dimensionally accurate prints, even more so than the ones pictured above (which was done on less-capable FDM hardware outsourced to a guy that convinced me to give him about $300 to pay for those three prototypes that are just abysmal in quality and have VERY visible brush strokes for color.). I have three sets of calipers, two digital, one manual, for ultimate in measuring cred. (Is that a thing? I'll make it one.)

For the metal tabs, cut up an old beverage can (beer, soda, pop, cola, whatever it's called in your area) and the natural curvature will help in making it more "springy". You'll need needle-nose pliers, I'd probably recommend the tiny Hakko ones given the size of the metal, for filament type, ABS or PETG would work best, although I've found that M3D's ABS-R brand is a variant of PETG that reduces stringiness while also handling wild temperature fluctuations. To put it this way, PLA dash cam mounts failed within 24 hours. ABS-R mounts lasted the life of the car until I traded it in, so a couple years Roof window seat, literally the hottest part of that interior, a side cam too, stuff is durable and shouldn't flop around at all. ABS will snap if it gets cold, ABS-R has no such issues. Comes in all different colors, I don't think I have much red left (most of mine is now PLA for artistic purposes), but I do have PETG and ABS-R. In what seems like a cruel joke however, the only color I have is black. "Hey, that tiny part you just dropped, what color is it?" "Same color as the shadow below the car, you know, black"... yeah that's not a punchline I'm going for. I'll be ordering a legitimate color rather than just a shade from M3D soon, I'm low on filament already and they got some new stuff in I think (how do I have like every shade ever and no colors anyways?!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast