FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Converting from 4 lug to 5 lug - Anyone done it?

Converting from 4 lug to 5 lug - Anyone done it?

Are there any kits out there for converting a DMC to 5 lug? The wheel options out there seem far greater for 5 lug wheels.

Just curious if this is even a possibility without some kind of major custom work.

Thanks!

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I have pondered this idea before. it would be a fairly intensive project but do-able. I think some Chrysler products use the same spline count as our rear stub shafts. The front spindles are 30mm od, it would me a matter of finding a hub with a similar or larger bearing. You could also simply re drill the hubs, but i do not trust the casting that much.

All in all, quite a bit of effort that would outweigh the gains. But i am of the belief that deloreans look silly with anything other than the stock rims.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I have pondered this idea before. it would be a fairly intensive project but do-able. I think some Chrysler products use the same spline count as our rear stub shafts. The front spindles are 30mm od, it would me a matter of finding a hub with a similar or larger bearing. You could also simply re drill the hubs, but i do not trust the casting that much.

All in all, quite a bit of effort that would outweigh the gains. But i am of the belief that deloreans look silly with anything other than the stock rims.
    Your face looks silly.

OH SNAP
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

I agree but I have seen a few that look damn sexy. A member here (think his real name is Faisel?), has excellent taste in aftermarket wheels and matching the offset and ride height to look perfect. They are 4 lug and 16" if memory serves but I can't remember the name or model. I believe another member here (Patrick I think) also has them and they do look good. Do a search, I bet you cpuld easily find a set of 4 lug rims that you would be happy with....after all, out of 20 million Honda's out there with aftermarket rims, something has to float your boat.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I believe another member here (Patrick I think) also has them and they do look good. Do a search, I bet you cpuld easily find a set of 4 lug rims that you would be happy with....after all, out of 20 million Honda's out there with aftermarket rims, something has to float your boat.
    I do! 17” on the front and 18” on the rear.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Patrick C; 01-04-2018 at 09:16 PM.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    I do! 17” on the front and 18” on the rear.
    I dig those so much. I'll be going with the same wheels, but in black, for my LS project.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

I've looked at aftermarket wheels a lot lately and whilst the 4x100 pattern is still common, it's hard to find all that many in 18" and particularly with an offset anywhere close to the Delorean rear. With 25mm/1" hubcentric spacers it makes things easier, but I was looking to not do that if I could help it.
    Fronts are less of a problem to find.
    Center bore is also an issue, as you just think you've found a great option and then find the center bore is <72.1mm and you're screwed again. Some are 73.1 and finding spacer rings for that small 1mm difference is hard. I know 1mm may not be a lot, but I've been trying to do a nice job and not cut any corners.

The perfect option would be custom size and offset 3pc wheels from someone like Rotiform, but they are big $$$

Patrick's wheels look really good, but I think they're long since discontinued ??. I think 17" can look too big on the front (like on the 17/18" replicas of the original wheels) but not on his wheels for some reason.
    I'm looking for 16/18" to accentuate the staggered look a little and run a slightly higher profile tire up front.
    Last edited by Robmac123; 01-05-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

In that case best of luck to ya.

My VIN:    6883, 6146-Acura Powered, Formerly 10310 and 628

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

But i am of the belief that deloreans look silly with anything other than the stock rims.
    I don't disagree with this statement, but there are a few reasons that I chose to do this mod...
    1. I already have a very heavily modified car (Acura Engine, power steering, door closers, etc.) and I thought that the low-profile tires would improve handling...they do.
    2. I could get modern, matching tires (Firehawk Indy-500 summer)
    3. I like a challenge (this was certainly a challenge).

I did an exhaustive study, first trying to duplicate what Patrick has with the XXR's, but they were impossible for me to find in the proper offsets/matching configuration (believe me, I tried).

The "only" option that I found that had available offset sizes in 4x100 lug spacing that, IMHO, looked decent were the Maxxim Maze with the machined face (available from Summit Racing among other places). I used 17x7 (205/40-R17) in the front and 18x7.5 (235/45-R1 in the rear. They make them in black, but I am not totally sure how it would look on the car.

To try to address the topic of the thread ...I looked at any and all possibilities, including 5-lugs. The issue I found with 5 lugs is the front hub, the rear can be converted using the spacer (a 1"+ spacer is required for any conversion). But the front hub is cast and has flats on the back for the existing lug nuts, this would be difficult to modify for 5-lug. I suppose a new hub could be fabricated, but it would not be straightforward.

20171117_143948.jpg

I found an app called Wheels-ON that you can mock up different wheels with. I have no clue on using photoshop, so I just copied a side view of the car and then copied pics of the wheels I was playing with from another car on google and it takes 10 seconds to upload the wheels to the app and scale them to size. It was either free or only a couple of bucks, I can't remember. It sure isn't photoshop being just a side view, but was ok for what I was trying to do.
    Here's one I was playing with using black wheels, just as an example. They look too big, and need scaling down a little, but it was the only example I could find quickly.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Robmac123; 01-05-2018 at 09:13 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast