FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Converting from 4 lug to 5 lug - Anyone done it?

My VIN:    4675, 4190, 3114 and others

Club(s):   (DMA) (DMWC) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Going to 5 bolt

When building the BTTF III car, I had to put the 67 VW rims on the car with white wall tires. This was difficult to do, because VW rims do not fit the Delorean. (Obviously!)

So how to do this without changing the stock parts? Well, first you need a 4 x 100 to a 5 x130 adaptor. They make these. The only draw back is that it widens the stance of the car. Reallly, that makes is a "wide track Pontiac!" The adaptor plate is about 1/2" thick.

What this means is that you need to get rims that have more "negative" offset so the tires do not rub against the fenders. Years ago information on, "negative" or "positive" offset on aftermarket rims was readily available and alway something you needed to consider when putting new rims on older cars.

If you go to a tire or rim store today and ask about "offset" they think you are speaking a different language. People working at these stores have no training, no technical knowlegde. So disappointing. They know how to "push bottons" and if there is "no button for that"you are out of luck.

These adaptor plates are about $150 and they just bolt on. Simply, easy and quick. Just make sure you get the right rims.

BTW you can go to other bolt patterns, not just the 5 x130.

Bob

Already planning Delorean Weekend for next year. We have some great surprises and more Delorean Documentary movies.

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by Bob635 View Post
    If you go to a tire or rim store today and ask about "offset" they think you are speaking a different language. People working at these stores have no training, no technical knowlegde. So disappointing. They know how to "push bottons" and if there is "no button for that"you are out of luck.
    When i brought my bmw to change the tires after i bought it, they took me to the floor area to warn me the tires I had purchased were all the same size, but my car had staggered tires. It took way too long to convince them that those cheap no-name brand tires were the incorrect size for the car and that mine were correct, despite showing them the manual.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Got a bit more work done with the 5 lug swap / big brakes.
    300mm rotor, from a 255mm. Honda S2000 rotors and calipers (CR-V pictured). S2000 calipers have the same bore as stock so the master cylinder would be fine. the CR-V calipers are slightly larger than 54mm @ 57mm. I will experiment.
    I had to turn the hub down a bit so the rotors fit. Working on making a caliper bracket, just prototyped with a 3d print.
    All in all not invasive at all and looking forward to having a car that brakes well.

I still think the miata brake upgrade is a good setup for the more sensible people that want to keep their stock wheels.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Finished the rear, and that wraps up this project.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Front hubs - Redrilled, and several hours of work on the lathe. They have the same spines as the delorean stub axles, everything else had to be modified.
    2005 Mustang Rear rotors - 300mm vented rotors vs 265mm solid stock rotors
    2013 Ford Taurus Interceptor Rear Calipers - Larger pad area than stock, integrated parking brake. Piston bore is slightly smaller (45mm vs 48mm) may need to get a proportioning valve.

I made a caliper bracket that ties into the trailing arm so the larger brakes do not rely on the small cast mounting ears the original caliper bolts to.

Last edited by Josh; 05-23-2021 at 03:43 PM.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

I have to say, very impressive Josh. Not sure if I like the red calipers, but your opinion is the only one that counts. (On your car)

My VIN:    2690 & 4359

Nice work. I especially like your caliper bracket implementation. I've been running Miata brakes up front on mine for almost a decade but still haven't come up with a convenient solution for the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Nice work. I especially like your caliper bracket implementation. I've been running Miata brakes up front on mine for almost a decade but still haven't come up with a convenient solution for the rear.
    Your setup originally inspired me to run the Miata brakes, which I provide kits for now. Mind you I do not use the Mazda spindles and what not like you did that was alot of work you did modifying the control arms. Impressive either way!

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Just checking in here.
    I have put 10,000kms on this 5-Lug big-brake setup without issues. Very happy I did it. If anyone wants to pursue this route I can give guidance and/or provide parts.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Many more miles without issues. Working on the exterior of the car now, most notably now the proper colored front bumper.
    I was experimenting with front wheel spacers to get the wheel "fitment" proper. In hindsight I would have bought wheels with different backspacing.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

My VIN:    6125

This fool is running Honda 2000 rotors.

I'll win. Then me and my dad can roll together when he gets out of prison.

But seriously, fitment is looking really good on those wheels with the 5 lug conversion. Must be nice to be able to dial in that front ride height with the KW's. What kind of total offset are you running with spacers?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast