FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rebuild heads with performance cams

My VIN:    10686

Rebuild heads with performance cams

Anyone have a good rec's for a complete head rebuild with performance cams? I dont want to put those 100k ones back on with out at least a valve job, would like to do a port, polish and new cams.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by txdmc View Post
    Anyone have a good rec's for a complete head rebuild with performance cams? I dont want to put those 100k ones back on with out at least a valve job, would like to do a port, polish and new cams.
    Not a whole lot to be gained by porting and polishing. If installing "performance" cams do not expect any improvement without doing something to the intake and exhaust systems. Cams can be installed without removing the heads.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10686

Should I even bother having some kind of service done to the heads. Like just to make sure they are all squared away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by txdmc View Post
    Should I even bother having some kind of service done to the heads. Like just to make sure they are all squared away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes. It's borderline silly to have the heads off and not at least have them checked by a machine shop for straightness, etc. At that mileage, get the valve steam seals done done at a minimum.

Go to an automotive machine shop with a good reputation in your area, and talk to them there. They can walk you through the needs better than most of the folks on here.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    ..... Cams can be installed without removing the heads.

But not without removing the engine, cams have to be installed from the "back" of the engine.

If the motor is not using oil and has good compression there is no need to remove the heads.
    David Teitelbaum

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If the motor is not using oil and has good compression there is no need to remove the heads.
    No, just no. If you're doing the cams, which is what this original poster has discussed, then you do need to remove the heads, unless you feel like do a lot MORE work and pulling the motor to change them.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

I liken this forum to being violently kicked in the head. Perhaps even curb stomped with zero chance of reprieve. There is zero of chance of anyone not taking the wrong advice despite those actually trying to help intermixed.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    16811

Rebuild heads with performance cams

My 2 cents... Call Josh at DPI and get a head gasket set. Take your valve stem seals and your heads to a machine shop and have them reworked and shaved no more than .040 if they need it. Send your cams to Josh for grinding if that's what you want and talk to him about a spec exhaust to compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    I liken this forum to being violently kicked in the head. Perhaps even curb stomped with zero chance of reprieve. There is zero of chance of anyone not taking the wrong advice despite those actually trying to help intermixed.
    It's just that some people have VERY strong opinions and don't mind voicing them. At least everyone is trying to help in their own way. It is ALWAYS up to the reader to take what he can from all of the "noise". Like they say "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen"!
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast