FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Delorean fire in Orem UT

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Sooo....my hypothesis...

Guy list car for $75k..gets a buyer who comes and sees the car, figures out it wasnt all the ad said..prolly offers a reasonable amount and walks away when its not accepted...so guy torches his car to collect insrance..of course in a highly visible location to add to the credibility that it wasnt on purpose.

At least based on whats been posted so far.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Last edited by Michael; 01-08-2018 at 08:29 AM.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

If time travel was possible, I'd go back to visit earlier generations (like those who lived through the Depression,) and tell them: "one day in the future there will be people who ask strangers to pay for their $35K toy.......and others who don't think that's out of the ordinary."

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    If time travel was possible, I'd go back to visit earlier generations (like those who lived through the Depression,) and tell them: "one day in the future there will be people who ask strangers to pay for their $35K toy.......and others who don't think that's out of the ordinary."
    They need to worry less about the DeLorean they torched and more about the future as in future legal defense fees.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

As we often say around here, the value of a car is only what someone will pay for it, not what the seller is asking. So a cynic might say that having a Bill of Sale for $70k is a great way to prove to an insurance company what your car is worth, should it accidentally subsequently burn to the ground.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10907

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    "No donations yet"

(It's early in the morning still, but considering how successful other "crowdfund my DeLorean" campaigns have been...)

Here the guy is again claiming his car was at DPI for a year getting restored: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...822433621&_rdr

Considering that both Josh and the people who sold him the car have contradicted this, wondering if this guy is really one of those people who lie about everything to the point where if they say the sky is blue, you should get a second opinion. Ugh. I genuinely don't understand people whose ages are in the double digits and still lie for attention.
    Last edited by DaraSue; 01-08-2018 at 10:36 AM.

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

This is unbelievable. I'll admit, this looks like it could be fraud, or an attempt to get more than full insured value from the insurance company by trying to establish a bs value claiming the car was sold at that price. I don't believe his story of an accident and rite aid denying him help. My guess? He and his girlfriend got attitude off the bat (and understandably so) got heated, and the employees felt threatened. Now he is trying to add that misfortune to the equation...... and such the victim.
    I hope the insurance investigators see this thread on Google, and realize there could be more to the story, and should start to dig a little deeper. Two claims on two vehicles (comprehensive) doesn't look good to me....
    Soundkillr was here.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Not uncommon for an owner to have a shop look a car over, do some minor work and then put the car up for sale claiming extensive work done prior to the sale for the purpose of increasing the value. Using a high profile shop adds to the illusion. A knowledgeable buyer would want to see the work ticket to see just what was done and maybe even call the shop. My guess is there was no "buyer" for $70K but that's his story for the insurance company. Doesn't matter, he will only get what the policy provides for unless an investigation indicates arson. A bigger problem is going to be for the shop, if anyone can prove it was faulty work that caused the fire. The last one to put a hand on it is going to be the most logical suspect. I wonder if Rite-Aid has video cameras and what they would show?
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Completely agree. This whole thing stinks. Based on his situation and past claim it doesn't look good....

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Not uncommon for an owner to have a shop look a car over, do some minor work and then put the car up for sale claiming extensive work done prior to the sale for the purpose of increasing the value. Using a high profile shop adds to the illusion. A knowledgeable buyer would want to see the work ticket to see just what was done and maybe even call the shop. My guess is there was no "buyer" for $70K but that's his story for the insurance company. Doesn't matter, he will only get what the policy provides for unless an investigation indicates arson. A bigger problem is going to be for the shop, if anyone can prove it was faulty work that caused the fire. The last one to put a hand on it is going to be the most logical suspect. I wonder if Rite-Aid has video cameras and what they would show?
    Soundkillr was here.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Per his video on the i8 - 3 years ago he paid $7k for a 10 year old E46 328i and 6 months ago had worked his way up to a more recent 335i. And then, suddenly "just doing my thing, doing what I do" he buys an i8 "for cash" as well as the D .

From a youtube channel with 2000 subscribers and doing door-to-door sales of something unspecified?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast