FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cold Idle

Ok, with the car running, the WUR has voltage. With the car running it doesn't change anything when I unplug it. Again, with the car running the ISM also has voltage. It also doesn't change anything when I unplug it. Should the idle change when I unplug it?

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    How does depressing the Idle micro set the speed to a higher level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I never really found what effect the idle switch has on the idle ECU. But with the idle switch off, you get ignition advance and that will most likely overcome the capability of the idle system to hold 775 RPM.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jsloden View Post
    Ok, with the car running, the WUR has voltage. With the car running it doesn't change anything when I unplug it. Again, with the car running the ISM also has voltage. It also doesn't change anything when I unplug it. Should the idle change when I unplug it?
    Typically the when unplug the ISM while at idle it will stumble or die completely. Not always though it is a bit condition dependent.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Ok, just unplugged the left plug from the idle computer while the car was running. There was no change in idle.

Try unplugging the 4 pin connector on the idle ECU when the car is running. That should bump the idle up between 2000 to 3000 RPM if the idle system is working. If you get no change than something is dead in the idle system.
    Dave M vin 03572

Okay, unplugged the 4 pin connector from the computer. No change in idle. Could there be bad solder joints in the computer. I would really rather not have to buy one of those.

Okay, unplugged the 4 pin connector from the computer. No change in idle. Could there be bad solder joints in the computer. I would really rather not have to buy one of those.
    Can you borrow one from another owner? Have not heard of any bad solder joints with the idle ECU (it does not get that hot and has conformal coating sprayed on the circuit board).
    Dave M vin 03572

Cold Idle

I would verify your ISM is not Stuck first.

You can move (pivot) the cold start valve tube toward you about 1/2 inch. This is usually enough to slip the short connector hose off the ISM. Push the hose to the side so can shine a light into the the ISM port to see the rotating valve position.

Last edited by DMC5180; 01-07-2018 at 05:09 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Not too many Delorean owners in North MS unfortunately. The only other one around here is in a museum. I think they would frown on trying to take parts off of it. If the ISM is getting voltage does that rule out the computer? Because like I said earlier, with the key on run the ISM gets voltage but it doesn't buzz.

Cold Idle

One of those could be the issue. But if the warm up regulator should be coming on with the key and it's not I would definitely like to get that solved first.
    to clarify, the Warm up regulator does not get power with the key in RUN, only if engine is running. Which you already verified.

This is normal. You will not have power without the engine running because it is Fed from RPM relay operation.

Last edited by DMC5180; 01-07-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    DENNIS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast