FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Battery dash light flickering/coming on at 3000 rpm and higher

My VIN:    2848

Battery dash light flickering/coming on at 3000 rpm and higher

When my car hits 3000 rpm or higher my dash battery light will flicker and go on and off. Not sure why.

Newer battery (6 months ), all battery cables snug, belt is new with 1/2 inch of play and not slipping, wobbling or making any weird noises, and battery charging between 14 and 14.43 at the highest output so it's not over charging.

What is the battery light trying to tell me? The battery is staying charged and is charging well when the light is both on and off. I see no change in charging power whether the battery light is on or off.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    -alex
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

My VIN:    03572

Does it flash randomly or is there a pattern (error code)?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Does it flash randomly or is there a pattern (error code)?
    It seems random. I replaced my belt recently but it looks nice and tight and even revved up it doesnt wobble or anything. About 1/2 " of play at the middle of the belt. It also does it with everything off including cooling fans so no big draws.

Could another bolt on the alternator be loose and cause this? Like its shifting or something? It does it right at 3000 rpm and higher.

There is a error code output on Deloreans?
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

Well I fixed the problem but I don't like how I did it. I wiggled the wire loom coming off the alternator and It stopped coming on. I figured I bumped it a bit when I put the new belt on but saw nothing out of the ordinary. But all i did was move the loom, check my car again at 3k + and the light wouldn't come on. I guess there's a loose connection coming off the alternator?
    -Alex

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80s View Post
    Well I fixed the problem but I don't like how I did it. I wiggled the wire loom coming off the alternator and It stopped coming on. I figured I bumped it a bit when I put the new belt on but saw nothing out of the ordinary. But all i did was move the loom, check my car again at 3k + and the light wouldn't come on. I guess there's a loose connection coming off the alternator?
    You should get up under the car and remove the wires, sand the fittings so you have good contact then tighten everything back up. While you are there might be a good idea to clean that frame ground right behind the alternator.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Totally agree that you should find and fix the bad connection. It could be a wire loose in it's connector, a broken wire under the insulation, whatever. The point is you should find and fix it. It will get worse over time from vibration and corrosion.
    David Teitelbaum