FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Idle

I bet the ISM is stuck or the ECU not working

One of those could be the issue. But if the warm up regulator should be coming on with the key and it's not I would definitely like to get that solved first.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Cold Idle

Quote Originally Posted by jsloden View Post
    One of those could be the issue. But if the warm up regulator should be coming on with the key and it's not I would definitely like to get that solved first.
    The WUR (heater element) is only live with engine running.

The ISM should run (vibrate) with key In Run.

What is your current ambient temp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DMC5180; 01-07-2018 at 03:45 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Okay, so the WUR doesn't come on unless the car is running correct? The idle motor has voltage going to it but is it definitely not buzzing or doing anything. The ambient temp is 48.

Your RPM relay is probably fine since the engine runs. Fuel pump is working.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Cold Idle

Quote Originally Posted by jsloden View Post
    Okay, so the WUR doesn't come on unless the car is running correct? The idle motor has voltage going to it but is it definitely not buzzing or doing anything. The ambient temp is 48.
    Correct. (The heating element) within it.

Just thought of something, make sure the idle Micro-switch is depressed when you have the key in the run position. This is the ground for the Idle ECU to operate.

Last edited by DMC5180; 01-07-2018 at 04:11 PM.
    DENNIS

My VIN:    Midproduction

OK now. With the engine running, are you getting power at the WUR plug?

I know you guys hate it when I say - I said it many times already - the idle switch does NOT turn on the ECU !

The idle ECU is always on, but pressing the switch sets the level to 775rpm, depressing it sets the speed to a higher level.
    (plus drives the valve for the air)

the idle system has many known and often discussed problems
    some which fit here are:

- idle motor freezes / bearings rust

- ECU power stage fails

My VIN:    03572

The idle system still works without the idle switch pressed. So like Elvis said, it's probably a frozen idle motor or bad idle ECU.
    If you unplug the 4 pin connector on the idle ECU the idle motor should go to full open and after a few seconds it will start to close and start buzzing (when you turn the key to on). Note: unplugging that 4 pin connector also unplugs the idle switch along with the thermistor.

Some RPM relays have separate contacts for the two outputs. So even if your fuel pump runs the second output may not be driving the WUR heater.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    The idle ECU is always on, but pressing the switch sets the level to 775rpm, depressing it sets the speed to a higher level.
    (plus drives the valve for the air)

the idle system has many known and often discussed problems
    some which fit here are:

- idle motor freezes / bearings rust

- ECU power stage fails
    How does depressing the Idle micro set the speed to a higher level?

DENNIS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast