FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: electric antennae retraction

electric antennae retraction

Odd thing with the retractable antennae: Driving home the other evening I turned on the radio. Probably for only the second time since I've owned the car (it has original speakers and radio so the sound quality just didn't entice me). Well, it worked better than I remembered. Once home, I turned off the car and radio, got out, and the antennae was still up? Got back in the car, turned on the key, then the radio, then back off on the radio. No movement on the antennae. Got out, wiggled the antennae, nothing. Did this one more time. Finally, reconciled that I would need to fix yet another issue, I shut the door. Down goes the antennae, smoothly with what seemed a very normal motor noise. With no more time to investigate, I left it.

Reflecting on this, I am wondering if closing the door caused enough bump to make some connection? Or, did closing the door activate the retract electrically (tied somehow to the door plungers)? My car is late model (so called 83) and pretty much original. How should the antennae retract work?

Thanks,
    Ron

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

If your car has the Original antenna, there is a switching relay for the up/down power located next to the Idle ECU behind the driver seat. The power wire (RED) attaches to the door lock module circuit breaker. It’s possible the relay contacts stuck and the jarring was enough release them. Or, All the wires to the relay need connections cleaned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    15190

It could be ground related. I would start with eliminating ground issues

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It's a connection issue. Use it some more and it will probably get better and better. The motor has brushes in it and maybe they were sticking and not making good contact. By your own admission it has hardly sen any use. Don't take it apart yet.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It's a connection issue. Use it some more and it will probably get better and better. The motor has brushes in it and maybe they were sticking and not making good contact. By your own admission it has hardly sen any use. Don't take it apart yet.
    Been there seen that. Dirty brushes. I don't advise taking it apart either unless you have a spare weekend to mess with it. It's a delicate fix to get it apart and reassembled. Very delicate!
    Rob

DMC5180,
    As embarrassing as it is to admit, I had no clue where the ECU was. But, looking behind the driver's seat, as you suggested, behold, there it was... along with the antennae relay:

No clue that this compartment was there:
    P6154131.jpg

Looking at the relay, it seems fairly straightforward:
    P6154147.jpg
    I can see the green wire triggers the relay (coil) and must go off/on with the radio. The red must be live (+12) and power gets flipped between the yellow and white to raise and lower. That leaves the brown for ground. And, good news, these all have a connector I can disconnect. It should make it easy to put power directly to the antennae motor and troubleshoot it.

Finally, thanks to David and Rob. I'll take your advice and just exercise it. If it is the brushes, perhaps they'll re-seat and clean up on their own.

Well, there's no end to finding unusual "stuff" in this car and during this process, I noticed something in the ECU compartment:
    What it this.JPG

I know I'll feel silly for asking, but what is it? By the way, it's made in Germany:
    P6154139.jpg

Thanks,
    Ron

OK. do feel silly. It looks like the black box is the Bosch Ignition Control Unit, and the unit I was asking about is actually the Lambda ECU?

Ron

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Black box is Idle ECU. The Ignition control unit (ICU) is mounted directly below the Black box under the tray.
    The forward Large metal unit mounted vertically (what is this?) is the Lambda control unit.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.