FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Valuation and Future Predictions

My VIN:    10309

I know ebay is hardly a good source of prices but it seems DeLorean prices have really gone up over the last year. It seems excellent cars are into the $40,000 range and even a #4 is in the high teens and mid twenties. Most people will say "who cares, fix it up and drive it for fun". That's one way of looking at it but it also is a matter of
    pride driving around a near $40,000 car than one that is cheap. Look at the Porsche 911s from the 1970s, they were worth less than $10,000 and now you can't touch one that is a driver for less than $50,000. If you're an investor, a DeLorean is not a good way to make money. Windshields crack, door springs crack in half for no apparent reason and are $1,000 for the part. As long as my car is worth about what I have in it including repairs then I am a happy DeLorean owner.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by cdrusn View Post
    Most people will say "who cares, fix it up and drive it for fun".
    The ones (C.B. types) who say crap like "Drive it more" or other stupid uninformed BS that chastises owners don't have to work the hours we do to get the car in the first place, nor do they pay for the upkeep, or realize that we have other things to worry about before "playtime" happens.

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I’ve been watching this for a very long time.

Feel free to pick at my break-down below and call me bonkers, but I genuinely feel that these are pretty accurate ranges these days - and what the marque deserves in 2018.

$10-20k
    Ok but generally poor condition. May or may not drive but will need considerable work done ($15-30k vendor) to update cosmetics, mechanical and electrical components. In most cases parts cars would fall into the lower end of this category.

$30-$40k
    Generally v-nice cars. Good cosmetics but may not stand up to a critical eye on closer inspection. Also generally well maintained but will probably need a laundry list of updates and fixes that the owner hasn’t gotten around to. May need ($5-10k vendor) of work done to bring it up to higher cosmetic and mechanical standard.

$40-55k
    Excellent cars. Great cosmetics that generally hold up on closer inspection. Very well maintained and updated. Should need very little done and should generally be a great driver and show car. Should be accompanied by a comprehensive breakdown of everything that’s been updated over the years to show that very little $ needs spent on it.

A1 - $55-75k
    Show cars with outstanding cosmetics, a super clean frame and body along with almost all mechanical and electrical updates done. Should look like it rolled off the showroom floor and should operate perfectly. Cars like this should also be accompanied by a comprehensive breakdown of everything that’s been updated over the years to show that almost nothing needs updated.

Near-Concours with all modern updates completed - $75-90k
    Almost perfect in every way (yes, there's no such thing as a perfect DeLorean). You should be able to eat your dinner off the frame and every part and component should look like it just rolled off the production line. It should pass almost every section of the Millennium Concours judging book - but with the exception of having all modern updates completed. This includes refined cosmetics, mechanics and electrics to be a safe driver with no issues what-so-ever. At this level you’re close to what DMCH plan to sell for ~$100k. A near-perfect example of the marque.

Concours (Untouched & Original) - $100k+
    Flawless. Every component should be accurate and original. It should pass every section of the Millennium Concours book and really should be in a collector museum. Probably not safe to drive without significant updates but the value here is in originality and accuracy. Very few of these examples exist.

Random sources:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbcP9J8FB_g
    http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/q-s...icle-1.2402960
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-delorean-dmc-12/
    DeLorean DMC-12 (October 1981)
    Manual transmission. Grooved hood. Grey interior. Rear antenna.
    Obsessive perfectionist and 64th annual 2019 Hillsborough Concours D'Elegance class winner.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Bennett View Post
    I’ve been watching this for a very long time.

Feel free to pick at my break-down below and call me bonkers, but I genuinely feel that these are pretty accurate ranges these days - and what the marque deserves in 2018.

$10-20k
    Ok but generally poor condition. May or may not drive but will need considerable work done ($15-30k vendor) to update cosmetics, mechanical and electrical components. In most cases parts cars would fall into the lower end of this category.

$30-$40k
    Generally v-nice cars. Good cosmetics but may not stand up to a critical eye on closer inspection. Also generally well maintained but will probably need a laundry list of updates and fixes that the owner hasn’t gotten around to. May need ($5-10k vendor) of work done to bring it up to higher cosmetic and mechanical standard.

$40-55k
    Excellent cars. Great cosmetics that generally hold up on closer inspection. Very well maintained and updated. Should need very little done and should generally be a great driver and show car. Should be accompanied by a comprehensive breakdown of everything that’s been updated over the years to show that very little $ needs spent on it.

A1 - $55-75k
    Show cars with outstanding cosmetics, a super clean frame and body along with almost all mechanical and electrical updates done. Should look like it rolled off the showroom floor and should operate perfectly. Cars like this should also be accompanied by a comprehensive breakdown of everything that’s been updated over the years to show that almost nothing needs updated.

Near-Concours with all modern updates completed - $75-90k
    Almost perfect in every way (yes, there's no such thing as a perfect DeLorean). You should be able to eat your dinner off the frame and every part and component should look like it just rolled off the production line. It should pass almost every section of the Millennium Concours judging book - but with the exception of having all modern updates completed. This includes refined cosmetics, mechanics and electrics to be a safe driver with no issues what-so-ever. At this level you’re close to what DMCH plan to sell for ~$100k. A near-perfect example of the marque.

Concours (Untouched & Original) - $100k+
    Flawless. Every component should be accurate and original. It should pass every section of the Millennium Concours book and really should be in a collector museum. Probably not safe to drive without significant updates but the value here is in originality and accuracy. Very few of these examples exist.

Random sources:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbcP9J8FB_g
    http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/q-s...icle-1.2402960
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-delorean-dmc-12/
    I too have been watching on and off for a number of years and especially this past year. The current value jump may be a reflection of the economy at the moment but also perhaps a reflection on the car itself. Classic car collecting is driven by nostalgia, and the 1980s are in right now. Generation Xers are now in their peak earning years with disposable income and are starting to buy the cars they liked as kids or grew up with. Refer to the values of classic SUVs (Broncos, Land Cruisers, Grand Wagoneers). The values are even rising on clean Fox Body Mustangs and F-Body Camaros. Now enter the DeLorean. For many of us the first time we saw one was backing out of Doc Brown's truck in the Twin Pines Mall parking lot. We were not burdened with the negatives surrounding the cars production, performance, eventual bankruptcy, and John DeLorean's arrest. We weren't old enough to understand. All we knew was how cool that car was and that one day we'd have one. It's the nostalgia of 1980s, and a certified pop culture icon. Right now that is like totally rad, and the values are reflecting that.

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Valley PD View Post
    Generation Xers are now in their peak earning years with disposable income and are starting to buy the cars they liked as kids or grew up with.
    I think you’re spot on. We’re maybe at peak DeLorean. Mid-range cars will probably see values start to drop over the next 5 years but I feel the top end and A1 examples will hold their values for a lot longer. The DeLorean is a dream car for people in their mid 30s to mid 40s. Right in that earnings bracket of being able to afford one - and a nice one too.

As time passes, the next generation and the generation after that won’t have the same emotional and pop-culture connection to the car. It’ll just be a cool old car and values will probably fall when interest in the car drops off.

But yes. Those of us, like myself, dreamed of the car as a kid and turned that dream into reality with a fairly substantial budget to play with. I wasn’t going to half-ass my dream car.
    Last edited by Col Bennett; 06-15-2018 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
    DeLorean DMC-12 (October 1981)
    Manual transmission. Grooved hood. Grey interior. Rear antenna.
    Obsessive perfectionist and 64th annual 2019 Hillsborough Concours D'Elegance class winner.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Bennett View Post
    I think you’re spot on. We’re maybe at peak DeLorean. Mid-range cars will probably see values start to drop over the next 5 years but I feel the top end and A1 examples will hold their values for a lot longer. The DeLorean is a dream car for people in their mid 30s to mid 40s. Right in that earnings bracket of being able to afford one - and a nice one too.

As time passes, the next generation and the generation after that won’t have the same emotional and pop-culture connection to the car. It’ll just be a cool old car and values will probably fall when interest in the car drops off.

But yes. Those of us, like myself, dreamed of the car as a kid and turned that dream into reality with a fairly substantial budget to play with. I wasn’t going to half-ass my dream car.
    Yeah, I was born in 1984, so I first learned of a DeLorean while watching BTTF as a five year old on a VHS Tape. In fact, it was the first movie I ever picked out at the store, and I'm pretty sure we bought it at Sears (Electronics Dept.) in our mall around 1989. Good times. I have spent the last few years researching and educating myself on the history of the car and everything else I can. I too have not half-assed it either. I purchased VIN 2282 from DMC MW and am having a few minor things done to it prior to pick up. I guess if I would have sold my 1970 Mustang Mach 1, I would have been in the A-1 range for budget, but then I'd be afraid to drive it, which is pointless. Now I can have two nice classics that I can drive once in a while and take to shows when I want to.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

The value of the car will continue to increase. As long as there is demand, low availability and attrition, value will increase. 10 years ago nobody but Ed himself though deloreans would increase like they have.

DeLoreans are also getting a "second chance" if you will. People (collectors, drivers, enthusiasts and the media) seem a lot more willing to accept and honour DeLoreans than pretend to dislike them because their uncle told them how terrible they were "back in the day."

It was quite an honour this year at the Vancouver All-British Field Meet... This is the largest british car show west of Ontario, FYI. With the number of DeLoreans in the province increasing in the last ten years and subsequently more of us doing the show, they decided to honour us with our own category. Until now we've always been grouped in with other "Post War GT's." That's a rather substantial head-nod from the motoring elite in BC.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    The value of the car will continue to increase. As long as there is demand, low availability and attrition, value will increase. 10 years ago nobody but Ed himself though deloreans would increase like they have.

DeLoreans are also getting a "second chance" if you will. People (collectors, drivers, enthusiasts and the media) seem a lot more willing to accept and honour DeLoreans than pretend to dislike them because their uncle told them how terrible they were "back in the day."

It was quite an honour this year at the Vancouver All-British Field Meet... This is the largest british car show west of Ontario, FYI. With the number of DeLoreans in the province increasing in the last ten years and subsequently more of us doing the show, they decided to honour us with our own category. Until now we've always been grouped in with other "Post War GT's." That's a rather substantial head-nod from the motoring elite in BC.
    It also seems like more are being exported out of the United States than before. I was speaking to some folks at DMC about this. In fact, when I went looking at DMC MW, of the six they had for sale at the time, it sounded like two had foreign buyers already. They also sold one (VIN: 1111) within the last few months that went overseas. DMC stated this seems to be a trend lately. If that's the case, there will be less cars available here, and continue to push values up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3