FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Driver’s side door won’t stay closed.

My VIN:    2412

Club(s):   (DMA)

Driver’s side door won’t stay closed.

Today my driver’s side door wouldn’t stay closed. The latch wouldn’t stay in position when closed. It would move freely back to the open position. Any ideas why? Thanks for the help!
    F0CE52B1-276C-4151-816F-7B4A0028E09F.jpg

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Spray some lubricant in the latch and manually open and close it a few times. You might need a screwdriver blade to work it at first. Be sure it's open before you close the door on it.

My VIN:    2412

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Spray some lubricant in the latch and manually open and close it a few times. You might need a screwdriver blade to work it at first. Be sure it's open before you close the door on it.
    That seems to have done it. Wow, that may have been my easiest DeLorean fix ever. Thanks!!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
    That seems to have done it. Wow, that may have been my easiest DeLorean fix ever. Thanks!!
    Consider it a temporary fix. A more proper fix would be to remove the latches, clean off all of the old grease, lubricate and then reinstall. This would also necessitate the whole door adjustment procedure. A big job.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Consider it a temporary fix. A more proper fix would be to remove the latches, clean off all of the old grease, lubricate and then reinstall. This would also necessitate the whole door adjustment procedure. A big job.
    I fixed my stuck latch just the same exact way, 6 or 7 years ago. If it froze up tomorrow I would trade a 5 minute job once every 7 years vs. the "approved book method" anytime.

Or it could be cold temps if he keeps his car outside. My Infinity was stuck shut this morning and we only had 15 degrees here, Maryland might be a tad colder.

"My car has a rattle once I start driving. I realized the front tag screw was loose and banging against the bracket. I tightened the screw and it's all better!"
    The proper procedure would have been to remove the tag, the bracket and the front bumper cover to make sure fasteners behind the cover have not rusted. Change the screws out with m10 stainless and use a small amount of loctite. Be sure to follow proper torque specs as outlined in the manual B:13-14.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

My point was, you are dealing with 30 + year old stiff, dirty, grease. Once the stuff you sprayed dries out you will just have this problem again. Especially with cold temperatures. Short-cuts are fine, just realize that and that there are other, more lasting fixes. All too often we take short-cuts and then wonder why things happen again and again. Can you overdue fixes, of course. That is where common sense comes in. In this particular case, when the door won't open or won't close and you then force it and knock all of the adjustments out of wack you will have a bigger job. And it always happens at the worst place and the worst time. I offered what I consider maintenance. At least once every 30 years the locks should be cleaned and relubricated. If you have ever removed a latch you will see grease that looks more like glue than grease and wonder how it worked at all.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The proper procedure would have been to remove the tag, the bracket and the front bumper cover to make sure fasteners behind the cover have not rusted. Change the screws out with m10 stainless and use a small amount of loctite. Be sure to follow proper torque specs as outlined in the manual B:13-14.

And now my co workers are concerned about me after my random outburst of laughter.
    -----Dan B.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    My point was, you are dealing with 30 + year old stiff, dirty, grease. Once the stuff you sprayed dries out you will just have this problem again. Especially with cold temperatures. Short-cuts are fine, just realize that and that there are other, more lasting fixes. All too often we take short-cuts and then wonder why things happen again and again. Can you overdue fixes, of course. That is where common sense comes in. In this particular case, when the door won't open or won't close and you then force it and knock all of the adjustments out of wack you will have a bigger job. And it always happens at the worst place and the worst time. I offered what I consider maintenance. At least once every 30 years the locks should be cleaned and relubricated. If you have ever removed a latch you will see grease that looks more like glue than grease and wonder how it worked at all.
    LOL @ 7 years not being a lasting fix.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze